SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ideagirl2_gw

Share the joy: Hardwood floor!!!

ideagirl2
13 years ago

I'm so excited about this it's ridiculous. Today I started to examine the flooring situation in our kitchen, which is covered in horrible grey and white vinyl sheet flooring. We've been planning on putting Marmoleum over this flooring, because anything thicker would make the height difference between the kitchen and other rooms too noticeable. What I really wanted was hardwood, but for that we would either have a ridiculous height difference or we would have to rip up all the flooring and spend a LOT of money getting a hardwood floor put in. And it would never really match, because every other room has 75-year-old oak floors and you can't get quite the same look from new wood. Sigh.

So anyway, a few months back the dishwasher installer accidentally messed up the vinyl and some of the trim at the edge of it, exposing a tiny bit of the subfloor so we could see there was plywood right under the vinyl. That explained why the kitchen was about 1/2" higher than the adjacent floors. We figured the plywood was about 1/2" thick, with, presumably, ancient decaying linoleum under it, or maybe even just the basic planks that you can see in the basement ceiling. So today I decided to get a better look.

I squatted down by the dishwasher, pulled back the loosened vinyl and saw that the plywood ended at the base of the cabinets. So I ripped off a bit of trim and shined a flashlight past it, back towards the wall. And I saw, between the dishwasher and the cabinet beside it... unfinished but perfectly smooth 2.25" hardwood flooring! It looked like an unfinished, dusty version of the hardwood floors in every other room on the ground floor.

So I got a screwdriver and went to the other end of the kitchen to remove the threshold between the foyer (hardwood) and the kitchen, and cleaned out decades' worth of grime that had collected under the threshold, and lay on the floor to see how the kitchen floor was put together. And yes--the hardwood foyer floor goes right on in underneath the plywood! The layers of kitchen flooring are sitting on top of... HARDWOOD!!! The same gorgeous golden oak floor that's in the foyer, living room and dining room is also in the kitchen! OMIGOD!!! We ALREADY HAVE the exact kitchen floors I wanted! They're just a little bit of sweat equity away!

Anyway, I'm so excited it's embarrassing, but I figured if anyone would understand, you guys would.

Comments (19)