SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Does your house have to be up to date at all times

lyfia
15 years ago

So the trendy and 2000's got me thinking. I tend to not care what trends are and go with what I like even if others don't like it. I have a mix probably of trendy and dated in some instances.

Do you think you have to have your house up to date all the time? I know we all like decorating and making changes here, but unless you are selling is there really such thing as dated in your own home as long as you still like it?

I mean In my old house I had an avocado green bath with the swirled cultured marble and I really liked that bath with white beadboard and blue accessories that I added. It was definetly from the 70's with the countertops, the tub, and the tub-surround, but I still liked it. Dated - definetly, but it didn't matter to me.

Comments (47)

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

ROFLMAO!!! who me?? so on to the next poster!

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Trends come and go but classic is forever. Gosh that sounds like a goofy De Beers commercial. lol

• Related Discussions

Does your house have a step up into the front door?

Q

Comments (44)
    I have a walkway leading to the step-up at the front door and like a flower bed between the walkway and the house foundation, where water stands and at the front door. when it rains we can't hardly Step down on it to get to the driveway. what can I do. please help.
    ...See More

having a hard time financing your manu. home

Q

Comments (16)
    saragene. stay away from mobile homes. 1. they treat it like a car. 2. it depreciates rapidly. 3. it is over priced. 4. most who sell them are crooks. if you decide to buy one of these poorly constructed so-called homes, do the following; 1. get your own appraiser. 2. get your own inspector. not someone the dealer/seller knows. 3. investigate the companies back ground. check for dissatisfied customers. there are plenty of links on the web. 3. investigate the dealer/seller background. 4. check local and state laws regulating how the home is to be sold and set up in your area. 5. get background references of the guy who installs your home. wouldn't hurt to get that about the dealer/seller either. 5. how many complaints were made against the dealer/seller/installer? These is plenty more to check into BEFORE you buy a mobile home. I will leave it at that for now. I'm waiting for the industry people to chime in on how you should not listen to me. You'll know what i mean when it happens. Good luck, and think about buyinh as Jim Walters home or something like that. You will be much happier in the future.
    ...See More

It's party time and the house is all dressed up! Lots of pics :-)

Q

Comments (32)
    Thank you everyone for the encouraging words and wonderful compliments! The party went great :-) Now it's time to make the grocery list for the family party next weekend, no calling the caterer next time...lol. But at least my house is ready! So many of you asked about the door sprays. I found those in a booth at an antique mall early in the fall. They were an autumn arrangement and I liked the look of them so much that after Thanksgiving I just added the sprigs of red berries and decided they would work through the Christmas season too. The holder is a cone shaped metal (tin?) with florist foam stuck down in it to insert all the dried leaves and stems. After I bought the arrangements I saw the holders sold separately at another shop. They were $15 each with no arrangement. I took a close-up picture and another one of how I mounted it on the door. I used the 3m Command hooks that peel and stick on. Then I used a little spot of the Bluestick putty like teachers used to stick things on the walls to anchor them toward the bottom since they are so tall. It seems to be working. They've stayed up since October. sippimom...You asked about the living room rug. It's Karastan and the design is Paysage. Whenever you look up Paysage it looks nothing like the real thing. My living room picture is an accurate representation of the colors in it. Thank you for the compliments :-) You must be somewhere down around the Oxford area? It's fun to find people here that are close by!
    ...See More

What does "back to school" time mean for your home?

Q

Comments (28)
    Ahh. Back to school. With only one of four left in HS, Back-to-School is dwindling. It is so much simpler now. There is only one child in one sport. And only one to track along on their school work. We will have time to deal with our overdue HOUZZ projects now that summer R&R is over. So let me weigh in on the controversial mamby-pamby comment. Hate to see name calling. It's negative and unnecessary. As for patience with the new traffic patterns, this is to the parents who take their children to their bus stops and feel compelled to chat with the bus driver. Please DON'T. It is really inconsiderate. The bus drivers are at work. They don't have time for social hour. It may brighten your day to "brighten their day" but it is not the time nor the place to "make a difference in the bus drivers' lives". I have been part of huge lines where the same parents do it daily. All the cars that are stuck behind the bus (and lawfully NOT passing the school bus) actually have somewhere to go. They sure do. Maybe it is an appointment. Or maybe, just maybe, they are trying to get to their job. Keep that in mind. Fortunately it is a small number of parents who want to chat it up. Unfortunately it has a big impact.
    ...See More
  • neetsiepie
    15 years ago

I might get kind of trendy with color, paint is cheap and easy. Furnishings are another matter. I tend to keep to the classics as far as furniture goes, but will add in new accessories if I like what is out there.

I also change fabrics frequently, curtains and bedding are relatively inexpensive and can be used on trend also.

• shappy
    15 years ago

Hmmm . . . I predict a lot less snobbiness in the years to come about being up to date . . everybody could afford to update on HELOC $$!

When I was growing up, being in style in home furnishings/decorating was never an issue, it just wasn't done in my hood. Back then appliances, etc worked forever and were well made.

• User
    15 years ago

Nope not me. I get something and never change. I never repaint or update . When it is done it is done. If I liked it when I first did it then I really did like it for all time. I never even move furniture. I tried recently and posted here for ideas....put it all back....LOL. I am a stick in the mud ! c

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Are flat screen tvs a trend, if so, yes, I really really want them because of all the space saving the create! On the wall and out of the way, without dusting impossible backs! Please Please Please Santa...

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

lyfia, I confess, I have a fondness for the avocado green appliances. I would rather have them while saving for an update than the cheap white fixtures that took their place when the real estate agent told the sellers to "update".

When we were house hunting, I almost bought a house with the original 50's pink fixtures. I was livid at DH for putting his foot down. What does a cracked foundation matter when the bathroom was all 50's pink???

Bodica, I hope Santa brings you your flat screen :-)

Joanna

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

Since I don't even like some of the current trends, I will have to answer no. If being out means chrome faucets and black appliances, so be it.

It does bother me though when I have something that is already on minute 16 of fame. My accessories could really use some updating.

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

I want things to look classic, warm, comfortable, inviting. If it is not up to date I am really not worried about it. I tend to keep things the same like trailrunner. Once it is done, it is done. I tend to stick with simple, classic things so don't figure it will ever go out of style even if it is not the latest trend or fad.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

No.

I totally agree if you've done it, then enjoy it as long as you still like it or it wears out. We are redecorating only because our previous upholstery wore out (and I still am crazy about it and sad to replace it) and we're in a new house that doesn't have a TV niche so had to figure that one out, and we needed a new sofa. Otherwise we would still be happily sitting in our early 90's colors and patterns, and enjoying the faux finished walls of our old house.

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

I echo the others above, my house is up to date for me. It took me a long time to discover and own my style and I like it, I really like it. I have no intention of keeping up with the trends, much of which I don't like anyway. Most of the pieces chosen for my home are pretty neutral and here to stay.

I may change out an accessory here or there but the big things were purchased with an eye towards being in use until I need to replace them.

The really good things never really go out of style. I remember when I was a teenager, I fell in love with something, I don't even remember what it was. What I do remember is my Mom saying, "oh we had that back in the 50's". I never thought I would do the same thing but sure enough, there are things that are trendy now that I remember from the 60's, 70's, 80's and in a minute what was hot in the 90's will become hot again.

• magnaverde
    15 years ago

Well, it's pretty hard for your place to trendy & up-to-date if you don't buy anything new. Everything I own--if I didn't inherit it--came from an estate sale, a garage sale, Goodwill or the alley.

Magnaverde Rule No. 4O: If nothing is in style, nothing can go out of style.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

I don't have 'alleys' here but I'm with Mag on the vintage finds. That's what I prefer, and so my house will never be 'in style' or even less 'trendy'. Mag, I LOVE that room, and all that is in it.

I still have 'big butt TVs' here and will not replace them until they die...

I might change a paint color here and there, but I have found that I can move just about anything in one room to another room, and it works there, too! That was a wonderful surprise when I noted I had reached that point, and saw that my old 'stuff' can look new again just by a change of surroundings!

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I'm sure my house will never be up-to-date, and while that does entail some inconvenience that I'm just going to have to live with, I'm ok with that.

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

I see things thru the same eyes as M'verde~if it isn't in style, how can it go out of style? Style is what *you* make it, and are comfortable with. Personally, I don't like new things either~well broken-in shoes are always the most comfortable. You can't let yourself get caught up in what is 'dictated' in magazines~you'll end up spending a fortune and probably not being happy since the ideas are not yours. You have follow your heart AND instincts. If you initially like something, chances are you may never tire of it. If on the other hand you make a purchase because you sort of like it, and feel it will work in the room, chances are you will tire of it quickly~Rule #41. ;o)

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Quite frankly, the older (and crankier) I get, the more I think it's a fool's game to worry about following trends. Of course, fashion for our homes and our wardrobe can be fun, but when people just have to have the latest and greatest, for the sake of keeping on the cutting edge, I see that as a sign of immaturity, irresponsibility and possibly low self-esteem.

I don't mind knowing what's current, but I've never been a slave to fashion, and never will be. I won't allow someone who extolls themselves as a harbinger of trends to dictate how I'll spend my money. Goodness knows, it's big business, being "in style". It's forever changing, which means that money is forever changing hands, and I just refuse to play that game.

• teacats
    15 years ago

And I just can't afford to keep those designers in the style to which THEY have become accustomed ......LOL!

YES! I would LOVE to change out stuff for fresh-stylish-posh stuff or simply upgrade items .... but I've grown to really like my style ......

Jan (with faux wood floors; faux flowers and an 80s house with brass stuff and a garden tub ......)

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

No, I don't have the time, patience or motivation to remain up-to-date at all times. If someone comes in to my home, it is either to fix something or because they are friends, family, maybe both. If they come to fix something, I don't need to impress them, I simply pay them. If they are friends or family, it is way too late to impress and they have come to enjoy the company so I don't expect them to cast a critical eye. When I entertain, we are focused on the food and conversation and not the decor, although I take the troulble to make each room comfortable, attractive and inviting so that they will all feel at home.

There's another thing. It takes me so long to make decisions sometimes that once the decision is made, I will not be wanting to make changes for a long time.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

If I had the money I would. But timeless to me is the same as up to date. And I certainly wouldn't change out anything that I enjoyed. Really, I think I would only upgrade.

• kec01
    15 years ago

I agree 120% with what auntjen has written.

• awm03
    15 years ago

Out of date? Heck no, it's a period piece! Historical integrity and all that :)

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

Shhh, awm. You're going to blow the cover for those of us who decorate with "vintage" pieces (that we are really just out-of-touch and therefore clueless about what's trendy, so we just stick with old stuff). ;)

• ronniroo
    15 years ago

I think that by trying to keep up with the trends at all times means you'd have to sell your house and buy new almost constantly. Let's face it, an 80 year old farm house would look ridiculous with trendy furniture in it. My 40 year old log cabin would look silly with a bunch of modern decorating in it. In my opinion, the most tasteful decor is a combination of keeping with the character of the house and addressing the ages and stages of the homes occupants, because I don't think a house can be truly happy without providing a warm and nurturing environment for it's family.

~~Veronica

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

My bathrooms are the definition of not being up to date.

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I think it depends. As I've written before, I like toile and I like a lot of it. But I'm not such a fan of some of the cute carp I bought when I was first married, and I've de-accessioned most of that stuff over the years (mugs with mottos, cache pots, baskets, etc.)

But as my taste's changed, I've rotated the pink lustreware into storage, and display William Manker pottery instead. I don't want my house to stay stagnant, anymore than I want my wardrobe or my mind-set to do so.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I think many of us have come to fear the dreaded word "dated" which HGTV is so fond of. I love perusing design magazines and books and they offer me the chance to look at my space with a fresh eye. Evolving in your taste and following trends are to me two entirely different things. The former is enriching and creative and the latter is being a slave to the decorating industry. Feeling comfortable and enlivened in your home is more important to me than worrying about what is or isn't in style. People who visit comment about the beauty and serenity they perceive, and I think in large part what they are feeling is the expression of our personalities in every aspect, whether it be paintings, antiques, room arrangements or furniture. A home that reflects uniquely you and that is created with passion and individuality is removed from trendiness and "up to date" is not something that would even come to mind. My decorating mantra has always been comfort, beauty and individuality and I've found that if I stick to that I can't go too far wrong. Does that allow for updating and tweaking occasionally? Absolutely. That's a part of the fun and excitement. I don't want to live in a stagnant space because that doesn't express the growing and evolving person that I strive to be. Will I spend megabucks to be "in style"? Not in this life time. Design gurus don't know me so why would I allow them to dictate how I live? Your home is one of the few places where you can choose what you like and I for one will never give up that freedom.

• thestylishhouse
    15 years ago

Hi, IÂm a new member to this forum, but want to comment because I think this is a great topic! In my humble opinion good design remains fairly stable. To say something is IN today then OUT tomorrow gets tiresome. I definitely like a fresh idea or new look but itÂs exhausting to always chase after the latest and greatest fad. I enjoy searching and collecting interesting things over time, as I can fit them in my budget. We are such a consumer driven society which creates a lot of this.
    So anyone want to go shopping? Cathy

• johnmari
    15 years ago

Count me in amongst those who prefer to get it DONE and leave it be. Maybe it's a liking for stability and consistency, I dunno. I see no need to constantly be changing and fiddling and "rotating" and "refreshing". I don't want to spend the money on all the stuff, I don't want to store it all in my little house, and I don't want to spend the time and energy constantly fooling with it. My hassle tolerance is VERY low.

• awm03
    15 years ago

What's that you said, bungalow house? I can't hear you -- my 1980s English country chintzes are too loud :)

• suero
    15 years ago

I like to think of my hand-me-down furniture as "timeless."

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

What does "up to date" mean? Does it mean that for the last two years everything was switched out to chocolate and robin's egg blue? Or does it mean not stuck in a particular period? Does it mean comfy and accommodating to your lifestyle? Does it mean reflecting your present circumstances / interests / tastes?

Like, in a kitchen I think I "get" it -- stainless, granite, stained cabinetry -- but in terms of (the rest of the home's) decor, I'm not sure I do.

I think "up to date" is kinda like manners: manners are making sure everyone around you feels comfortable and at-ease. Up to date in decor is making sure it reflects you and your comfort. Maybe? If that's true, then I am really up to date!

• southernheart
    15 years ago

amen to this thread! :) The "trendy" thread was beginning to give me hives... ;-)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

my3dog, your house and style is a trend others want to copy. Too bad those so called "trend setters" don't know about you. If we could all be so lucky to have your eye and talent.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I really don't think anyone wants a dated look. But, classic, timeless, and comfortable are always in style. However, I agree with what ideefixe wrote: "I don't want my house to stay stagnant, anymore than I want my wardrobe or my mind-set to do so"
    Even classics need updated surroundings.

• htnspz
    15 years ago

well said, Ideefixe. Our styles do change and evolve over time. Like many others, I believe in having some classic, timeless items and mixing them with a few trendy items.

While I think that architecture is certainly a cue to what the interior of a home is and should be respected, I wouldn't let that completely limit me. I do think mixing in some modern elements even in 100 year old houses is both exciting and interesting to the senses.

• annie1971
    15 years ago

I think your home becomes lost to you when it just isn't right anymore. That's a reason to start replacing, redecorating, rethinking! If you really love that retro color/pattern/furniture -- then that is definitely the house for you! What in the world is "up-to-date" anyway! It used to be that we thought we knew what was "out of date" and what was "in". Now, thanks to the younger generation (and the older baby boomer generation), we can do whatever we want that makes us happy.

• leahcate
    15 years ago

Ditto to ideefixe and bumblebeez, also 3dogs and Mag. If it was never IN style, ( trendy ala 70's southwestern mauve and aqua, etc) it cannot go out of style. I, too, feel the need for freshening. I have a friend whose taste is similar (traditional) to my own. However, her diningroom centerpiece, along with all else, stays forever the same. It feels very...well... still, to me. She has nice things, but is not into 'home decorating'. I have another friend whose furnishings,etc. are not particularly expensive, are all "finds" or inherited, ala Mag., and her home is a delight to the eye. It changes frequently, though maybe just in the addition or rearrangement of a few small things. I am curious. For those who've said they get it done and leave it, never to be changed...what draws you to this forum? I ask out of as simple curiosity as it seems a little odd. Glad you ARE here, though!

• mary_lu_gw
    15 years ago

Count me in as another who really doesn't care what is in. We are/have tried to decorate our home as much to the period of the home as we can, but still be comfortable. It is a home that is used, not just looked at. The grandkids love to visit our home. One, a five year old, just told us a few weeks ago that he just "loves" nana's house. Yes, we have a pump organ in the formal living room, several old parlor lamps, a morris chair, but everything is used and we love it. In fact just looking around, I can't find any furniture that was purchased new. Just appliances. I'm with you trailrunner, once a piece finds the right spot, it stays there.

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

Ingrid vc, your comment about HGTV being so fond of the word "dated" is very insightful. I also like the way you differentiated evolving in one's taste from following trends. I'll quote so no one has to scroll up to find it: "The former is enriching and creative and the latter is being a slave to the decorating industry."

Haven't many of us surprised ourselves at how our tastes change as time goes on? Certainly some of that change is influenced by magazine articles, commercial web sites, etc., but we must not be intimidated by terms such as "dated" if in our hearts we know what will make us happy in our own homes. And that's why I prefer to use the term "vintage" when HGTV might use that other word. I don't know. Is there a cut off date for calling something vintage?

• awm03
    15 years ago

I realized, though, that I am susceptible to color trends. Didn't think I was, but now that I'm trying to pick a whole houseful of room colors, I see that's always been the case. Currently banishing sage green & its variants from 2 rooms. Initially wanted to go pale blues/aquas/turquoises -- just like in the magazines! -- but I think I'll pass on those colors.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

For those who've said they get it done and leave it, never to be changed...what draws you to this forum? I ask out of as simple curiosity as it seems a little odd.

As one who tends to pretty much leave things alone after I get them as I want them, I'll venture an answer here. I think that even if you aren't a "tweaker" who continually makes changes when it comes to decorating, you can still have a keen interest in many aspects of home decor and "nesting." Even if you feel you've gotten it right in your own home, you enjoy seeing what others are doing, and participating in the input and discussion to help them along the way. I think it's just like any other hobby or interest. For example, one doesn't have to always be lifting weights in order to have a passion for fitness. Does this make sense?

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Actually, the fitness thing is a pretty poor analogy. Let me say instead: One doesn't always have to be in Ireland to have a passion for all things Irish and to retain a very strong interest in the Irish culture and traveling to that part of the country. You're interested when others are traveling there as well.

There. Maybe that's a little better. ;-)

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

"For those who've said they get it done and leave it, never to be changed...what draws you to this forum? I ask out of as simple curiosity as it seems a little odd."

I don't think it means literally that you will "leave it". Things will be tweaked and changed over time, but to me at least it means that if next year the in thing is copper, I'm not going to run out and change to match the time.

I am here because I still have a long way to go with my home. There are major portions that are "done" but there is always something else to do.

This has also become a hobby for me so like AuntJen, I enjoy seeing what other people are doing.

• johnmari
    15 years ago

"For those who've said they get it done and leave it, never to be changed...what draws you to this forum?"

The primary reason is because I don't have money coming out the wazoo to do the whole house all at once like some people around here do, especially since we'll need to do two big remodels (kitchen and bath) in the coming years, and I do screw things up and have to fix them. We moved last year and had to pretty much start over from scratch with possessions we already had. (I can tell you I loathe having the house in such an unfinished state. I feel unsettled and uncomfortable.)

Also, what Auntjen said goes for me too - I'm interested in what other people are doing, as well as the "community" aspect, liking some of the people who hang out here and wanting to keep up with them and their doings.

• jaybird
    15 years ago

I practise Magnaverde's Rule #40 :^)

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

"For those who've said they get it done and leave it, never to be changed...what draws you to this forum? "

leahcate,you ask an interesting question. I had to think for a minute. Although I'm not one of those who will "get it done and leave it, never to be changed", I have not much interest in keeping up with trends. I do. however, have an interest in making or keeping my home attractive, inviting and pleasant. I can find information in this forum that is useful and not necessarily related to current trends.

For some of us, decorating projects are triggered by life events rather than a desire to update. A few examples: first apartment/condo, first real house, new addition, changes in the family, something breaks or wears out, need for a guest room/home office because one is taking home so much work, (hopefully followed shortly by)need to convert back to a guest room because one is no longer bringing home so much work. There also may be a desire for something new that doesn't have to be trendy.

My goal when decorating my first condo was to be able to come home after a long day at work or night out, and find an attractive and homey space. My goal in decorating my current house is to provide a comfortable and visually pleasing space that makes guests feel welcome and want to linger. (I'm already comfortable here.)

• robin_DC
    15 years ago

Great question! I like to know what current trends are, but not to chase them. If something is 'in' and I like it, and it suits my style, I may incorporate it into my house in a small way. It might be something as small as a lamp shade, accessories, throw pillow, or paint color choice. My style is still evolving (I'm in my mid-30s), but I have a strong enough sense of what I like (traditional but not fussy), to feel comfortable ignoring trends that don't appeal to me. Like ideefixe, I don't like the idea of my home becoming stagnant, so this approach lets me keep things a little bit 'fresh' while remaining true to myself.

I used to think that my preference for a relatively traditional style, with a mix of current and antique pieces, meant that I was somewhat immune to trend-chasing or the potential to be dated. But it occurred to me, while reading the recent threads on trends/what's 'in', that different time periods/decades have their own approach to 'traditional' style. The 80s' interpretation of traditional was different from that of the 90s, and that of the 2000s, and so on. I'm sure it's the same with more contemporary styles. There are regional differences too. The era/region may manifest itself in the choice of upholstery (solid vs. patterned, geometric vs. floral), colors, or hardware. Few rooms are truly timeless, even if many of their elements, viewed in isolation, would be considered timeless. Magnaverde's room is timeless but that is the exception rather than the rule. Since my antiques are mostly in the bedrooms, and the living areas are furnished with things I bought in the last 10 years, my house probably screams "late 90s/early 2000s 'traditional.'" To some, it's already dated, and to many, it soon will be. But the rooms that are finished or close to being finished reflect my taste, and that's what matters most to me.