SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Want to Help me Arrange a Photo Gallery Wall?

jan_in_wisconsin
13 years ago

Hi all,

One of the projects I'd like to do this year is a photo gallery wall for our upstairs hallway. We built our home several years ago, and I still have very few things on the walls. I thought the upstairs loft area would be a nice spot for some family pictures in a gallery style. The hallway is about 16 1/2 feet long, and it is open to a loft area, where we have our office and computer.

I started by deciding to pull everything together with similar colored frames and matting. I chose dark bronze type frames, which echo the oil-rubbed bronze finishes throughout the house. For frames with matting, the matting will be cream colored.

In the center of the hallway is a candle wall sconce light. The ceilings are 8', and the lower part of the light is 6'3" above the floor.

I bought some frames to get started and have not yet put any photos in them. I plan to include sepia and color prints of our kids, pets, and outdoor landscapes, i.e. trees, barns, etc.

I have two of some styles of frames, and others, I purchased only one of the style. I can get more, if needed.

Can you help me get started with arranging the frames? I like the idea of being able to expand with more frames and pictures in the future. I am not opposed to symmetry, but I prefer a casual and collected appearance over a formal one (do not wish to box all pictures in a perfect square or rectangle). Yet, I do not want things to look cluttered.

The style of our home is traditional/casual with a nod to the past in the form of a few antique reproduction pieces. I shy away from anything too contemporary.

One issue is working around the wall sconce. Remember, it is in the center of the hallway. How low can I go with hanging the lower pictures?

I am posting pictures below, and I would love to hear your thoughts.

View of hallway to right of stairway (loft area to the right, not shown):

View of frames on floor of hallway:

Close-up of frames:

Comments (25)

• yayagal
    13 years ago

Can you put cards under each one so we can refer to them by number 1 #2 #3 etc. It will make it easier.

• msrose
    13 years ago

I don't know why, but I kind of feel like the middle picture should be one of the bigger frames.

Laurie

• Related Discussions

Arranging a gallery wall

Q

Comments (6)
    Yes, I have seen Allison's article on the mechanics of hanging the pictures, and I'm definitely going to try that technique. But I'm having trouble arranging them in a grouping that looks right. I have varying sizes, most of them landscape, but two are portrait. Four are very small, so I'm going to group them together as one. I've seen tons of examples, but none of them are helping me with my particular frames.
    ...See More

Ideas for Arranging Multiple Wall Photos

Q

Comments (2)
    Check out sundownr's arrangement in this thread. I wonder if something like this might work for you? I think the Pottery Barn web site also has a section about photo galleries, or used to. I also used to have a link to an article on Martha Stewart's web site about arranging pics on a wall -- sorry I don't have it now but you might take a look at her site. Here is a link that might be useful: one idea
    ...See More

Those of you that have gallery halls/walls of family photos

Q

Comments (25)
    Your line about "who makes the cut" has really struck a nerve with me. Let me explain. I have the strong opinion that you can do whatever you want with the photos (ie. "who makes the cut"). What you see and how you feel from the displays is all you. A display with a topic theme, color theme, or whatever theme is going to be fabulous as long as you go with your heart and your gut. I had a terrible MIL (EX now!) who actually took the time to inventory WHO was displayed in photos, HOW they were displayed, and concocted her own storylines on why I elected to leave out certain people, include others, and have some more prominent than others. She had the gall to have "sit-down talks" with me several times about my choices in displayed photos. She started sending photos with little post-it notes on where they would "look nice" & which one's I should change out. It gnawed at her to no end that I changed nothing despite her passive-aggressive instructions. I hope your family and/or friends are not the likes of the old hag I used to deal with. You should never, EVER have to explain the reasonings (themes, etc) of photos and why you display what you do. Don't want to bring a downer to this & hope I'm not making you think harder into it. This just brought back some bad memories and it's really too bad it had to go that way. End of therapeutic vent. Gayle
    ...See More

How to arrange photo frames on this huge wall?

Q

Comments (25)
    a large potted plant would be perfect in that spot. it's a nice bright window and a tall tree type plant would eat up that portion of the wall. Put a some potted succulents over on the window ledge while you're at it. They only need to be watered a few times a month, and will really help your decor. or do an indoor herb garden...any type of greenery will do wonders for that spot for the tv, do a few larger (nothing smaller than 8x10 or 11x14) prints as shown below.
    ...See More
  • lindac
    13 years ago

Well....the thing I see right off about the arrangement is the un "squared off" upper side. Your arrangement will be more pleasing to the eye if the top of the group is level.
    Linda C

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Where is the sconce in relationship to the photo gallery arrangement? I think you might consider the sconce as another picture and arrange the pics around it allowing the sconce to be slightly higher. I think the bottom of the lowest pic should be about 42" from the floor.

Whenever I've arranged pics gallery style I just play with it on the floor until it looks right.

There might be some good arrangements at this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: hanging art gallery style

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I do the same thing that Luckygal does. I play w/ them on the floor or a table top first until I find a pleasing arrangement. Once you find an arrangement that you like take a picture of it for reference. As you are hanging them don't be afraid to change the arrangement. Sometimes once it starts to go up you see things differently.

W/ the more traditional styling of your frames I wouldn't worry too much about the top being squared off. While I think that standard gallery style frames can go free form just as easily as symmetrical, I think that more traditional style frames lend themselves better to a free form style in all directions if you are using a bunch of them. Sort of loosens it up a bit.

• tam18420
    13 years ago

I just put up a photo gallery in my den. I took brown paper, laid the frames on top, traced, and cut them out. Then I labeled each one and used painter's tape to tape them on the wall. This allowed me to rearrange until I was happy with the layout. Then I took off each piece of paper as I was hanging the frames.

If you are hanging the frames near the sconce, I would work around the light and add it as part of your gallery.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I've been trying to respond, but I'm having difficulty logging in to this site.

yayagal - great idea about numbering each frame. I am posting an updated photo below with the frames numbered for easy reference.

Laurie - I wouldn't mind a large picture being in the center, so to speak. I don't have a lot of room under the sconce, which is the center of the hallway, but I can fit a large frame horizontally and one small one above it without going too low on the bottom. I will try rearranging in another way to see what it looks like.

Linda C - I'm not sure if I want the top to be squared off or not. I am posting an inspiration photo below. I think what makes it work is that some, but not all, pictures reach a certain high point, and some, but not all, pictures reach a certain low point.

luckygal - Thanks for the link. I really like this image from the link you provided:

I'm wondering what makes it work so well. I notice that some frames are at a certain high point and some at a certain low point, but not all frames line up at the high and low lines.

ttodd - Thanks for your thoughts about symmetry and free form with the traditional frames. I find that I'm having a problem "letting myself go" to get the free style look! It must be the evil accountant in me being anal again!

tam184 - I will take your advice about using paper guides. I think that will help a lot.

I think I'm going to try the 3M Command Strips for this. I would rather not put that many holes in the wall. Hope they hold!

• teacats
    13 years ago

This may sound a bit odd -- but can you cut out a thin rectangle from a spare bit of paper -- to act as the "sconce" on the wall. So that we can deal the sconce into the mix ........

That inspiration photo is amazing!! As I can see it -- one of the reasons that the arrangement works so well in that photo -- is that ALL of the elements are very simple and clean-lined. And that fact that the larger mats on each of those photos seem to create a true visual break to the viewer's eye. Just a thought .....

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

You may need more pictures to avoid having it look wimpy on that wall. As they say on the decor shows: go big or go home. Can you fill the wall from about waist high to head-high with pictures?

I always do paper frame outlines on the wall because it makes shuffling so easy. And fractions of an inch make a difference in looks.

Have you considered changing the sconce to be a bronzy squared sconce so it blends with the pictures. Make it the hight point in the center and have a couple of pics on either side reach that height.

I love the inspiration pic!

Here is a link that might be useful: Squarish fixture for idea

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

teacats - I cut out a piece of paper about the size of the sconce.

I think you're right about the wide photo mats, lines, etc. from the inspiration photo. I find the clean lines too contemporary for what I'm going for, but I do like the layout in the inspiration photo.

Hmmm . . . I guess I'm looking for some "rules of thumb", and at this point, getting the layout right is harder than it looks.

I purchased a few more frames, and I'm going to mess around and see what I can come up with.

Photo showing "sconce" scale on white sheet of paper:

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lazygardens - we must have posted at the same time. I do intend to cover the wall with the photos, probably waist-to-head, as you mentioned, and I picked up some more frames today. I'm sure I will continue collecting others. I am sticking with the dark brown, bronze style frames and cream colored matting when it is used.

I see what you're saying about the sconce. The hallway goes in the other direction as well, and there is another sconce of the same type down that way. I'm wondering if I can just box around the one I have with the frames somehow.

In the inspiration picture, I notice that the distances between frames differ, and they are not all lined up vertically or horizontally. I love how it looks so clean and uncluttered, yet appears relaxed in style as well.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I'm definitely not an expert in wall arrangements but I like the idea of using one of the bigger pictures as a centerpiece and using more frames. The bronze frame/ivory matting is a great combo and I love your inspiration gallery wall.

I'd like to do the same thing for my long, boring hallway so I'll be interested in seeing your final result!

• legacybuilder2
    13 years ago

Not to throw a monkey wrench into this, but I just saw this on photo gallery set up. I thought it was a neat idea. My husband wants to do this too. Our problem is deciding on which pics to choose. MAre you using current pictures or a time line approach?

Here is a link that might be useful: DIffernt Photo Gallery Set Up

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

juddgirl - Yes, I'm hoping this will make my drab hallway fab somehow! I will share pictures when I'm done, for sure.

legacybuilder2 - I have seen those shelves used that way, and I think I'm going to do something like that in our great room. This hallway, though, is too long to pull it off effectively. The pictures aren't doing justice for the real length of this hallway. As for the "current" vs. "time line" approaches, I think I'll go with a mixture of photos from the present and past. For example, I'd like to include a baby picture of each me and my husband. But, again, I don't want to be tied to a scheme. Whichever photos of our family are most meaningful will definitely be my choice. I have a very old photo of my great grandparents on their wedding day (turn of the century), and I'll probably use that somewhere. We adopted both of our boys, and our older boy joined our family at the age of 2, so we don't have any infant pictures of him. I wouldn't want him to feel left out in some way with a timeline method because of that, so I'm going to go with a more unstructured choice of photos.

Right now, I'm up to 17 frames, and that is only going to get me about 2/3 of the way down the hall.

So far, here's my plan:
    The inspiration photo has no focal point, as the entire arrangement is the focal point. I have set the maximum height for the top of the top frames at 78", however, not all of the top frames will be placed that high. The lowest height for the bottom of the lowest frames will be 42". Not all of the low frames will be hung that low. This leaves a horizontal band of 3 feet in which to place the frames. I will have a minimum distance of an inch and a half between frames, however, there will be a randomness to the positioning. I will run the frames the entire length of the hallway.

I plan to use color and sepia prints, and I hope that works.

Will keep you all posted . . .

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I think what makes the long wall with b&w photos look so good is the consistency of frame color and mat color and photo colors. Any two will do the trick. 3 is better.

One thing I've always tried to do in my wall gallery is make sure that each frame is aligned on at least one side to another frame, preferably two sides. My gallery is going up a stairway so it is challenging, but not one frame stands alone. They are all connected by an imaginary straight line to one or two neighboring frames.

The inspiration photo didn't do that at all, but it still works because there is so much overall connections.

Jan has done the alignments in her prototype layouts, but its not quite working for me, so I must be forgetting something about that plan.

I think I need #8 and #3 to be on the same plane.

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

Be careful about putting the smaller photos/frames at the top -- you don't want them to get lost, and you don't want people to have to strain to see them.

• User
    13 years ago

Well, I just sat with paper and tried to do a layout and I apparantly have a problem with symmetry, lol. I think I'd have to buy more frames. This is why I'm doing photo ledges. :)

I was thinking keep the sconce in the middle of the arrangement and start with the two largest pics side by side below that.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I know buying frames and mat boards can get expensive. I just paid a small fortune for 2 16 x 20 mats that I had customized to fit a few pictures.

Too late for me, but I recently found this website where I could have had the same mattes cut in any size for a fraction of the cost. They also have custom frames made to order. It may be less expensive and a more cohesive look?

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom Frames and Mat Boards

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention that I found the framing site via a BHG article featuring a blogger"s home that included a wonderful gallery wall. Here's a link to the photo wall pic.

I love the thin frames and thick mat boards. I think the gold and ivory tones keep it from looking too contemporary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery wall

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wendy - Great points. Since the original layouts posted above, I've been trying different things with a lot more frames. I'm getting the hang of it, I think. I won't be sticking with anything like the original layouts I posted.

pammy - I will watch the height placement of the smaller frames.

shee - I know what you mean about the symmetry thing. I did purchase many more frames, so that is helping, but I actually need more yet! Well, this little project has turned into a bigger project.

juddgirl - Thanks for the links. Some of the frames came with matting already, which is nice, and I got a lot of the frames at 50% off (after Christmas sales). So, right now I have 17 frames, some matted, and I've spent less than $200.

While I agree that having identical frames and matting makes it easier to pull everything together, I'm attracted to the more casual look of a variety of frame styles. I am sticking to the same color for them, though. I know I'm making it harder in doing it this way, but I'll figure it out somehow.

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

I haven't read all the comments but I would put 3,6 & 8 on the diag, then 4,6 and the sconce on the other diag (its almost there), then move some of the smaller ones around to creat more of a shape - whether its a square, oval or rectangle. Not exact but just somewhere fairly close for a neat look. I did an antique mirrors arrangement over my bed and used small pictures as well to fill in the blanks.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, it's getting better. Here is a picture with more frames:

The perspective of the photo creates a visual illusion, as though the frames the furthest away are so much smaller than the others - they're not, of course. The carpet color is also off - it looks pinker in the photo than in real life.

I'm liking the arrangement much better now with the extra frames. I'm up to 20 now - yikes!

I didn't stack as many frames as in the inspiration photo, as our upstairs ceilings are only 8'. I think the inspiration photo ceiling height is higher.

• User
    13 years ago

Looks like it's coming together nicely. I like the last layout and like the mix of different style frames.

Do you have photos picked out for these yet? That could be another tricky part. You really like the vertical picture but the one you want to put it in is horizontal... :) It'll be worth it once it's all done.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, shee!

I do not have specific photos chosen yet, but I have many, many from which to choose. Most of the recent ones are horizontal, so I have most of the frames in that direction.

It is a bigger ordeal to figure this all out than I thought it would be - as usual! But, I know it will be great when it's done.

I've been following your thread about your bedding, and I know that while it's a challenge right now that it will look great when it's done. Hang in there, and don't give up!

• louisianalover
    13 years ago

Just came across a blogger's website that has a tutorial about her gallery wall and how to measure where the nails go that hang the frames. She didn't want to put too many holes in the wall and came up with a great solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery Wall Tutorial

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville