SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Window Treatment Idea - Workable or Weird?

DLM2000-GW
13 years ago

Now that Thanksgiving is over I'm back to my Office/Guest Room update and scratching my head about the window/doors. I bought these woven panels from Ikea and was sure I could figure out a way to make roll up Roman shades for the French doors and the window. The doors are no problem but the window is too wide for one panel and I can't figure out a way to butt 2 of them side by side and have it look right and more importantly roll right. So on to plan B

As usual ignore wall colors - painting will be last. I need light control and some privacy at the window - there is already a plain old roller shade which handles room darkening for a sleeping guest. I like a bit of privacy when I'm on the computer (crazy neighbor) but also like the light so don't want to have the whole window blocked during the day.

So....... here's my idea

This is the panel from Ikea

Make roll up Roman Shades for the French doors here

Make a valance from the shade material and have a cafe curtain below it for this window - the plain roller shade can be invisible behind the valance and the cafe curtain can either add a hit of color or be something textural that would work with the woven valance.

The doors and window are on the same wall - this was taken from the entry door

So what do you think? Is the valance/ cafe curtain idea workable or just weird?

Comments (21)

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oooooh, Carol - that's a great idea! Have to go measure again - not sure it'll work if the side bands have to be too wide.

• Related Discussions

Window Treatment Ideas for Family Room

Q

Comments (24)
    Thanks for clarifying the use of the space. It originally sounded like a room for the kids mostly. I think it is nice that your DH likes to be involved. Plaids and checks are hardly just country, but if that is his thought and he is immovable on that, so be it. LOL I was confused by your comment about the swirly wall areas not being able to be painted. They are painted the ceiling color, aren't they? No special maintenance to paint them another color, and I really think it would make the room feel more spacious if they were the wall color. I like the changes you have made - the room feels so much brighter.
    ...See More

is this weird? Question about window treatments

Q

Comments (6)
    I wouldnâÂÂt worry about it. They likely would look different in the two rooms even if you chose the same fabric for both, because of the major difference in wall color and reflected color. So I donâÂÂt think you have to worry that people are going to think they are the same fabric.
    ...See More

what kind of window treatments should i pursue for these weird windows

Q

Comments (1)
    Cordless Top Down Bottom Up Cellular Shades
    ...See More

Need ideas for window treatments for kitchen / breakfast area

Q

Comments (12)
    L P I have the same shape and colour of table as yours, to update it a little, I bought online, 2 fabric parsons chairs, mine are in toile, off white with black lettering, I put them at each end of the table, with the original chairs on the sides. I like the look and it did imo update it. It took some searching online to get the proper height of back, cause my original chairs have a higher back. I only put on a tablecloth at mealtimes otherwise table is bare with a centerpiece. Your home is lovely, love the chandelier above your table! I would only add a shade above your kitchen window for the sun problem, no to a cloth valence, they are passe imo.
    ...See More
  • DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well shoot - that's not gonna work - the window sash alone is 35" and the woven panel is only 24 - can't add in that much fabric on the sides.

So back to the idea of a cafe curtain with some of the woven panel as a valence - any thoughts?

• loribee
    13 years ago

Very good idea, but how....tape the woven panel together to make it wide enough?

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I think your valance idea is great.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

Consider running the valance material across, instead of down. Then it can be as wide as you need. You would have to be able to cut the runner and have it not fall apart. This could work if you used clear duct tape (yes they make that) on both sides when cutting, and then "hemmed" in fabric over the tape.

You also might consider adding some fabric trim to the shades on the french doors to tie the look together and make it more custom.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I am confuseth.

By cafe curtains, do you mean shorties that hang over the bottom half of the window? If so, I can't figure out what you plan to do with the shade. Using it as a valance, it will still not be wide enough. I am sure I am being daft...sorry. (more coffee?)

The only thing I think will look "right" is to use panels on either side of the shade to close the gap. You could also do stationary panels on either side of the French Doors, but that will get awkward and expensive.

I wonder if you could find a matching shade in the correct size.

Alternatively, if you are willing to start over in this room and either return the shades to Ikea or use them elsewhere, I got a screaming good deal on a bamboo shade from Top Blinds through Amazon. I am not sure why they sell at the prices they do, but on Amazon, their shades are a fraction of their website prices. I ordered samples through the main website and then went back to amazon to order.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    13 years ago

You could make a cafe curtain by running the woven panel lengthwise and hanging it with clips.

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

If the window is 35 and the woven 24 adding 11 inches....5 1/2 on each side should be no problem. especially if you use heavy webbing so the fabric doesn't flop around.

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

I like the idea of trying to make them work but am at the point in my life where I would rather return them and start over. You can find inexpensive romans for those doors. What about a window film instead of the cafe? You can do the valance with the roller hidden up inside but have the film for the privacy but still get light in.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OY! This is so hard to explain without using my hands!

From the top;

Lori since I wanted to do a roll-up Roman I can't 'tape' them together on the back because that shows on the roll as it goes up - can you picture that? So that's why I bagged the idea of a Roman for the window.

graywings I hope you're visualizing what I mean when you say great idea - I need the support!

julie I *could* railroad the valance - actually did that with valances from woven table runners on my porch. But there is a strong grain to this and it might look funny to have it horizontal on the french doors then vertical on the window valance, don't you think?

amy I'm not surprised you're confused - I do that to people ;-) No you are not daft - the valance would have to be made from 2 section of the shade material butted together. I *think* I can do that easily enough for a valance that is not moving like a roll-up shade. But maybe I'm dreaming. Not understanding your idea about the stationary panels but awkward and expensive I don't need! Just checked Amazon - holy smokes - you're right about the prices! But sizing won't work for me in this case. For the next room, however....

gracie you mean to railroad it? That brings up the grain issue again and railroaded the panel would be too short to work as a cafe curtain.

carol I just can't picture that. The added fabric banding would really need to be wider than the 5 1/2 because there has to be an overlay onto the woven - enough to support the weight of an extension over 5" out. So I'm thinking at least 2" - that would make the proportions strange, don't you think? Have you ever seen banding over 3 or 4" Not sure I have. The plus side of a cafe with valance is privacy while I'm sitting at the computer and not losing the view of the sky and trees.
    This is what ALWAYS happens when I think I've found a bargain solution to a decorating problem. I end up spending more to make it work and it becomes a huge project!!! The woven panels are $10 ea - I bought 4, we have the wood needed to make the shade support, the string and eye hooks for the roll up shades would be under $5 - 3 roman shades for $45 - not too bad!! But noooooooo - it never works like that! Now I have to go fabric hunting, buy fusable tape and figure out a way to make this work!

Here's what I'm thinking now..... hope this makes sense - I can't get my perspectives right. Woven shades on the french doors banded with the same material used for the cafe curtain. A valance over the cafe of the woven also banded with the fabric. Now the issue is - what kind of fabric so this looks chic, not cutesy. I love the idea of throwing some color and fun in there but maybe something more subtle will be a more sophisticated look. Because we all know how sophistimacated I am ;-)

• loribee
    13 years ago

DROP CLOTHS....I'm obsessed with the look/texture.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    13 years ago

TOO LATE, Lori!! I'm just back from the fabric store (and a CL purchase and a sale at my fave resale shop) and I bit the bullet. Usually it's a bunch of swatches, bring them all home, lay them out, take pictures, post here there and everywhere, fret about a decision for a few weeks ..... but not this time. I bit the bullet and bought the first fabric that spoke to me. I think it's going to work out well. There's still a bit of light so I wan to get some pics. Back in a bit.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so excited - I think this is going to work out!! When I found the fabric I asked to have it cut right away and as the lady was doing it I said that I usually have to take a bunch of swatches home..... Her comment was life is too short to make yourself crazy over fabric. I should stencil that on my walls! Or tattoo it on my forehead.

Here's the chair I found on CL for $20. (BTW - could have bought 4 - kind of kicking myself but don't know what I'd do with them anyway) I want to paint it - hate to do more black but either that or white. Keith thinks I'm ruining a good chair by painting it - of course! So - black or white? If you remember, the sofabed on the other side of the room is white.

And here is the fabric I bought - will use it for the cafe curtain, too. Will do an edge banding in plain black (bought that fabric, too!) for the woven valance and french door shades to pull the 2 parts of the room together. Still thinking Palace white for the walls but that could change.

• loribee
    13 years ago

I LOVE it! So proud of you, Deb!

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

Love the chair. Consider painting in a bold color. Go with the 1971 of it all!

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Lori - I'm proud of me, too!

uh, julie - I did 1971 already. Please don't make me do it again!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Deb:
    Love the fabric, love the chair. I actually like the honey color of the chair as it is. I think it ties in with the blinds.
    Dee

• lyfia
    13 years ago

I know this is late and seems like you've already decided. However another idea would be to use the matchstick as is on the doors and then for the window, cut it into 3 pieces and add fabric to piece them together. This should cover that extra foot you need. Two pieces would work as well, but thought 3 pieces would look better.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Love the fabric!

If you get a tattoo on your forehead, make sure they do the letters in reverse so you can see it in the mirror. ;-)

My little brother likes to say "Done is Good." I can't tell you how valuable those three little words are in my life and those with whom I have shared this smidgen of wisdom.

I think you should hold off on painting the chair for now. Just as every room needs some black, I kind of feel like that chair might offer a refreshing bit of difference in a B&W room. I always see red when I see a chair like that. Perhaps a bit overdone, but I like the idea of a bright color on faux chip. And yes, you should buy more....if only so that you can ship two to me.

Is the little bureau staying? (Sorry, I am not keeping up with the plot...) I might paint that and leave the chair natural. Anyway, paint the walls first and then decide on the chair.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Done is Good" is good! Geesh Amy - not keeping up with the plot? You have a life beyond my office/guest room? How rude! Yes the little chest is staying and the plan was to paint it but I'm kinda diggin' it the way it is - needs drawer handles, though.

Lena I would actually get hives if I had to do the math required for your idea - gotta remember who you're talkin' to ;-)

Thanks, Dee - the chair is staying as is at least for the moment. It can alway get painted later. Who am I kidding - I NEVER go back to projects when I 'finish' with a room, I just live with it as is.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio