SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caitlinmagner

Ethical Question

caitlinmagner
10 years ago

Sorry if this has been covered dozens of times - I couldn't come up with any previous answers based on my searches.

Anyway, what is your opinion about shopping in a showroom and then buying your stuff online?

I know some people here won't even use AJ Madison's website for an appliance comparison because they know they won't be buying from them.

My dilemma is this: There is a high end plumbing supply store here. I was basically set on my choices and just wanted to see them once more in person, i.e. using the showroom with no intention of purchasing from them.

Although I told the sales rep I was just looking, she stayed with me and actually turned out to be quite helpful regarding the prep sink and faucet. I left with product catalogs and specs and her card.

Of course, going online, the prices for the same things are way cheaper, no tax, no shipping, and cash rebates. All in all, it will save me over $800 to do the transaction online.

Is there an unspoken rule that if you shop somewhere and given helpful guidance that you should buy from there? If not for that rule, I don't see how these places can compete with the internet!

Or is the bottom line MY bottom line and as a consumer the competitive market will dictate where I buy from?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and then I'll tell you what I have decided to do (unless otherwise convinced, either way).

Comments (24)