SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peytonrose1015

Ethics question...or is it?

ILoveRed
6 years ago

Yesterday we drove out of town (2 hours) to a showroom that had lots of plumbing fixtures and tubs..etc. Nothing like that locally unfortunately.

The very helpful employee spent 2.5 hrs with us and wrote down all of our preferences (I had done a LOT of research already). I'm guessing there is a commission.

By evening she had already sent us an email with all of the items and prices. We would buy the items directly with free delivery. Warranty to us. Mostly Kohler products.

Our plumbing company has a local distributor that can get the same items and does not sell to the customer directly. Therefore they come through the plumber and are marked up by the plumber. The plumber will make the fixed price bid he gave us for the labor and the markup for these items.

i think it is fair to get a bid from our plumbers distributor and purchase through our plumber even if they are a little higher.

DH thinks that is totally unfair to the young woman that spent almost 3 hrs with us yesterday and that we should purchase from them. As if we used her/them just to see the products.

Truly this has been our first big disagreement.

we have a long, solid, business relationship with this plumbing company and I think it's a mistake to not let them give us a price. We chose them over another plumber that had a lower bid because they did the last house we built and they are excellent.

do we owe the other company our business since their employee spent almost 3 hrs with us and worked through lunch? Plus her time spent preparing the bid after we left.

Comments (53)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!