SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindaem

Layout Help Please? Small, Multi-door kitchen

lindaem
11 years ago

Hi, well, here we go again. We are ready to proceed with our kitchen plans and I would like to hear some input/ideas on the possibilities we have for our kitchen.

DH and I are empty nesters now, and this is our forever home. We will be replacing everything: floor, cabinets, counters, appliances, and lighting. We have gotten 3 estimates from cabinet places using a general plan (1, a custom cabinet maker, one other uses Huntsman cabinets, and the last uses Medallion cabinets). DH is leaning towards the custom guy, and honestly, I am too. His cabinets look great, his pricing is comparable, we have friends that have used him and speak highly of his work, plus DH kind of clicked with him).

I am the main cook but he helps out when asked. We have so little storage or countertop space currently that I would love to increase that (actually I also store some appliances and other dishes in a cupboard in the garage, would like to get them into the kitchen if at all possible). The kitchen is also a passageway to the back yard, family room, and garage.

We will be our own GC (DH is really handy and has remodeled his own mom's house). He has added recessed lights to our kitchen this summer.

We are keeping the soffits and would prefer to not take down walls or move doorways. One window over the sink faces east. Don't want to move that either. Wow, this sounds pretty adamant, but we have been thinking about this for a while now and know our limitations, financial and other kinds. Also, our home is on the small side, and we feel that a 'great room, open concept' would be out of place for our little ranch. (We would end up with 3 bedrooms, a great room/kitchen, and a family room).

Wish List:

1. We have pretty much decided that we want to move our refrigerator to where our pantry currently is in order to get more counter space to the left of the range. (We will have to lose a few inches from the living room to do that). The pantry holds a lot now, so I am hoping that we will not lose storage with this move. The cabinets that will go where the frig is now will be used for pantry storage.

1a. One estimate designer suggested that (since we have a wider pantry than the refrigerator will need) to put a skinny pull out for canned goods next to it

1b. Another estimate designer suggested that we adjust the current nook wall and put in an 18" pantry next to the frig and banquette.

2. We will be moving the range a bit to the left (as you look at it) to get room for a lazy susan of some sort, and get rid of the blind corner cabinet. I am too old to crawl into the cabinet now to retrieve something from the very back of it! Also want to get rid of the blind corner upper cabinet.

3. We think we would like to have a small banquette in the nook area (we currently have a 36" x 48" table with chairs there)- we do have a dining room but do not want to eat every meal for the rest of our lives there.

Well, I have written a novel. If you are still with me, you deserve a prize! I am including a layout of the current space.

I will post a sample layout with a few questions since it seems that I can only post one picture at a time.

Thanks so much for your time!

Comments (13)