SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catlover5

Layout help please for small kitchen, not fancy

catlover5
12 years ago

I love this site - thank you. Finally ready to move forward and need your help please for a small kitchen redo, not fancy, but I would like it to be nice when we are finished. So hopefully I have followed the suggestions for a successful post and will get some great feedback. Every time I try to post though I end up spending hours reading all the great stories here!

My home is a 1940 Cape Cod Cottage and I was initially hoping for painted white wood inset cabinets with a farm sink and a marble counter in my small kitchen while adding a dishwasher; however, I am not sure I will be able to achieve this look as I have heard with inset cabinets that you "lose" space and I was told in the showroom that the kitchen I saw is for someone that never goes into the room - not very practical. I won't be disappointed with cabinets such as a painted white maple in a shaker style and an undermount sink which might be a better fit. My kitchen is 110x101. I want it to be an L shape to take advantage of the new patio door we put in. Everything should be in the L. We can move the sink, the window, the gas line and plumbing if need be but not the doors, can't make the room any bigger, nor take down any walls. I want to add a dishwasher, which we do not have now. I am keeping my stove which is 30 wide by 28 deep by 47 high. Our bottom freezer fridge is 33 inches wide but we would purchase a smaller bottom freezer fridge if need be. We have white appliances and neutral stone tile floor. The walls are currently a pale butter yellow and the entire house has white trim.

We were hoping to place the stove on the outside wall (the longer wall) so we could have a microwave over it that vents outside. It is currently in the corner on the smaller inside wall (with no venting) however the longer wall is deeper and that might mean a better place for the fridge while keeping the stove where it is and trying to vent the microwave through the garage outside. Above is an attic that we hope to finish one day. I only want a single bowl sink - initially I wanted a single bowl white farm sink (and still really like them) but an undermount sink with a stone countertop is also good.

I do have a few questions:

18 inch v. 24 inch dishwasher - is an 18 inch dw the end of the world? I keep thinking the extra 6 inches could be used towards cabinets. And, does it have to be on either side of the sink?

Base of drawers - what's the smallest one can go to hold all flatware and related accessories (spatulas, tongs, thermometers, etc.) - 12, 15, 18 21 or 24 inches? I was thinking of a 4 drawer base. I only have 2 drawers now, a 24 inch for flatware and a 21 inch for the gadgets.

What's better in the corner- a full corner lazy susan (36x36 or 33x33) or what I have been calling a half susan blind cabinet(39x24)? I think I saw a 27 inch blind corner cabinet somewhere but am not sure how that is used since most cabinets are about 24 inches deep, I don't know how you would get anything in them if it's in the corner. This would be the only cabinet for my pots and pans which are currently stored in one 24 inch cabinet.

How small can one go for a sink? I assume that sinks are about 2 inches smaller than the actual cabinet size? For example, would a 27 inch cabinet hold a 22x25 sink although you need place to put the faucet, which for me cannot be to the side.

What is involved with bringing the sink base forward a bit for a little bit of style?

We are a household of 2 adults, 6 indoor cats and 1 very large dog. I cook every day and enjoy doing so. I don't cook big but I do have entertain a lot for the holidays but small parties of not more than 6, usually. Below is what I have now - the stove is in the inside corner by itself, the fridge currently blocks the recently added sliding door (which replaced a traditional door that cut into the cabinet area on the long wall) as that is the only place for it now. I have very little counter space (24 inches on the left and 21 inches on the right of the sink) and the current sink is in a 33 inch base but it is a double bowl but each bowl is not large enough to wash a fry pan or a baking dish flat. That I despise.

I know I just threw a lot of information in here. I think I need the layout first and then go from there.

I think I need more counter space, would like everything in the L and want to add a dishwasher.

This is what I have currently -

110x101

The long wall with the sink is the side yard - the window is 19 inches from the corner but can be moved and made smaller.

The short wall with the stove has the garage on the other side.

The long wall with the swinging door and fridge has the dining room on the other side. The trim to the swinging door is about 32 inches from the corner.

The short wall with the sliding patio door goes into the backyard. The sliding door trim starts about 36 inches from the corner with the cabinets and only 1 inch from the wall with the fridge.

{{gwi:1694891}}

This is what I have come up with so far (the built in fridge is just for show and NOT in the budget) - one design has a full corner susan, the other has a half susan (blind cabinet); one has the stove on the outside wall and the other has the stove on the inside wall - both have a 24 inch dw to the right of the sink and I think an 18 inch 4 drawer base but if I got the 18 inch dw it could go to the left of the sink on the fridge one I think:

{{gwi:1870001}}

or

{{gwi:1870002}}

Looking forward to your responses and sorry this is so long! Thank you.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional