SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Which sofa would you get?

msrose
13 years ago

Now that I've finished painting my house, I'm ready to buy my new sofas, but I can't decide on the color. For those that didn't see my pictures before, I painted my house BM Lenox Tan.

Here's the sofa I love.

{{!gwi}}

I picked the fabrics on the sofa I currently have because I had two small boys and 3 dogs and I needed it to hide stains/dirt. I've never had a light colored sofa and I love the "idea" of it, but I'm afraid it will show too much. My boys are now 16 and 20 (20 yr old doesn't live at home) and I only have one dog (a small pug). All it would take is for my dog to go ouside on a rainy day and I can just see her getting her little doggy footprints on my sofa. Does anyone regret having a light colored sofa? Maybe I could make sure I cover it on bad weather days. Since I don't have a dining table yet (and because I'm lazy) I also eat on my sofa while watching TV. Everything tells me I would be crazy to get a light colored sofa, but every time I look at it, I feel like that's the one. I can get it in other colors which will cost extra, but I don't know if it would look as good. Here's two of the colors I tried:

Beige

{{!gwi}}

Mocha

{{!gwi}}

I don't want to go too dark brown, because my dog sheds and the darker color would show that. Any tips of living with a light colored sofa? Would you go for looks or function? Would the darker colored look too much like my wall color?

Laurie

Comments (55)

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

That light sofa in that light colored room with the light carpeting is going to be lost! You need something with some punch to it.
    You're over dosing on beige in that room. Beige lamp shade, beige carpet, beige walls even the fireplace surround. You need to break free and stop playing it so safe.
    With a 16 yr.old still at home, a dog and the fact that you eat in the living room you need something with some color to it and some pattern to it. Scotchguard works well but it's not a cure all, neither is a good steam cleaner.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol - The wall color isn't very light in person. It's more of a medium tone. I'm just starting to recordate this room, so most of what you see will be changing. The mirror over the fireplace is the only new purchase I've made. I eventually want to put in hardwoods which will be a medium to dark color. Once I decide on my sofa, I will figure out what color of curtains look best. I'm also in the process of shopping for pictures and accessories to add that punch of color. I'm thinking about ordering this picture for behind the sofa:

The darker sofa would make more sense, but I was actually worried that might be too blah with the medium toned paint and medium toned hardwoods.

Laurie

• Related Discussions

If you were getting a lake house, which one would it be??

Q

Comments (23)
    Other than the landfill being a possible issue, it sounds like option #2 is the best. #1 is based on "what ifs" like, "what if we suddenly change our likes and want more noise and action?" "What if people suddenly start to visit us?" People quote Magnaverde as saying something about decorating for the life you have NOW. I think this applies. I remember going to my friend's cabin on a lake when I was young. It was very simple, small lake, one canoe, one small motorboat . . .nothing fancy. I LOVED it, loved the peace and quiet, listening to the loons, the feeling that a little place in the world was just yours and yours alone. I don't think you need to attract kids with noise and flash-- there's enough of that in everyday life. And besides, it's too hard to count on anyone visiting ever-- it's better just to live for your life as it is. #3 is just too risky. What if you sink money into the place, and all of a sudden the owner dies and leaves it to someone else? My mom's neighbor . . .I can't tell you how many times she's changed her will regarding who she is leaving her house to (no children or family left). The latest is that she wants her personal assistant and his family to move in, and she'll will the house to him. Why? Because then he'll take care of her cats when she dies. It's the only reason-- her cats.
    ...See More

Which appliances would you get in a new home?

Q

Comments (8)
    It's immediate w/ responsive cookware, anyway. Cast iron doesn't cool down quickly w/ any heat source! I had induction in my kitchen and will always pick it over the other options unless I can install a gas hob for the rare times it would be convenient. The lows and highs are comparable, lows often superior, to gas adjustments. FAR less ambient heat around the cooking area. Easier cleaning. Cleaner air w/o combustion by-products from the appliance. Canning and woking have limits, which is why I want to try woking over the grill...after trying a pizza oven on the grill ;) See if you can play w/ one to help make your decision. I like Bosch for d/ws and will be putting at least one in my remodeled kitchen. I don't mind waiting for plastics to dry. Refrigerators seem to have disappointments across the board. I think it's luck of the draw.
    ...See More

Which of these Sofa styles would work with this chair?

Q

Comments (8)
    I particularly dislike Gaines since it echos the look of the chair. The table is curly, the recliner is all curly puff. I would prefer a sofa that introduces some straight lines into the room. I would probably go with Perry to negate the overstuffed look of the recliner.
    ...See More

I am confused about which coffee table would suit my sofa/chairs

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank oly chick for ur input.. I was thinking square or like rounded square or maybe an irregular shape because the sofa and chairs have rounded lines not completely round if that makes sense.. I will look again at suitable cylinder type tables.. but I feel like they wouldn't work for some reason. I agree the framework seems leggy..
    ...See More
  • love-my-lilhome
    13 years ago

Laurie, I can't tell you which color to go with.
    I can just say that furniture mistakes are very
    costly.I painted my walls a light gold, my sofa
    looks tan in pictures but its not! Its gold.
    I went with gold draperies because people told me the draperies should match the walls.
    When you walk into my living room all you see
    is gold. I hate it!
    Don't let the reds in the room fool you.
    You don't even notice anything but golds in person.
    Draperies cost too much to change,
    sofa was expensive and this is the
    4th time LR has been painted.
    No help for me. So put all the colors
    together you are thinking of wanting
    and see if you have one dominate color
    screaming at you .
    Here is my costly mistake that I hate.

• gastroc
    13 years ago

I feel your pain Laurie. We previously had a white sofa but with a partially black dog that didn't work so well. Now we have beige sofas and they are already getting dingy. I've decided then when I replace these, I will definately be getting brown!

I think the mocha color you posted is fabulous. =)

• suero
    13 years ago

I'd go with a green or red hue, The other colors look b-o-o-ring. Green would be easier to disguise dog hairs, unless your dog has red hair.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    13 years ago

Just wanted to say how beautiful your room is coming along! I love the warm wall color, and the mirror really sparkles!

I understand your dilemma with the sofa situation. I don't think you can ignore that you have an adorable furry friend, but maybe you can get the sofa you love in the mocha fabric, which would be more forgiving than the light color. Use cream colored pillows or accents (vases, lamps, artwork, etc.) to bring in the light shades you like.

love-my-lilhome - I really like the monochromatic look of your space. I find it to be quite soothing, actually. Too much going on is visually stressful, and the gold color is warm and inviting.

• Mimou-GW
    13 years ago

When my 18 year-old was two, I purchased a cream on cream chair for the living room. I bought the fabric protection offered even though I didn't think it would do much. If my current cats hadn't scratched the heck out of it, it would still look perfect. I still love the fabric choice all these years later. Disclaimer: I have 2 kids and cats but no dogs.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I have a beige sofa and love seat and beige chairs in a different fabric in the living room. This room isn't used that often but already the fabric looks dingy to me. If I had to do it over again I would have patterned fabric, preferably in some kind of tapestry material that wears really well and doesn't show every speck. This way I don't even feel comfortable sitting on that furniture. The room looks great because it has enough color otherwise but psychologically the comfort factor isn't there because I'm constantly thinking about dirt. I actually like the furniture you have but your room needs lots of punches of colors to come alive and a lot more art on the walls. Put in art and other objects that you love to give your room personality and life. Some plants would be nice too.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lovemylilhome - Even though I think your room looks pretty and I like the monochromatic look, I understand how you feel and that's what I'm so worried about. I don't want to put money into redoing a whole room and then not be happy with the end result. That's exactly what shee is going through right now. I'm kind of starting to lean towards the mocha fabric, but if I have that color sofa with my dark tables and floors similar to these, will that be too much dark?

{{!gwi}}

suero - My current sofa has burgundy and hunter green in it. I decided my next sofa would be more neutral so I wouldn't be tied to a color again. I know it would be less boring if I went that way, but I tend to get bored easy and even though I like green right now, I may not like green next year. I've actually thought of accenting this room with green, but I figured I would do it with pictures and accessories which will be a little cheaper to change when I get bored.

Thanks, Jan!

Laurie

• Laurie
    13 years ago

I've had a very light beige sofa in my LR for about 20 years.
    It was hard to keep looking clean even though we had no pets in our house. With three kids and numerous guests & parties, the fabric just picked up little stains over the years. It's been long overdue to be reupholstered. When I get around to that project, I will be choosing a darker shade. I like both of the last two pics you posted (beige & mocha). I really like the style of couch you are looking at.

The painting of the horse and dog is beautiful! That's something I would like to have in my home. I love the subject and the warm earth tones. I already have several pics with horses & dogs in my house. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to get that one, too!

-Laurie

• User
    13 years ago

Hmm.. I can see this from all sides. I'd be worried about the light fabric too and, knowing myself, would become a slave to the couch. Really think about that. If you have the special stain stuff on the furniture maybe it wouldn't be too bad but what if something DID get on it? How crushed would you be, with the amount of money you're going to spend, you know?

On the other side of that, I can see what you mean about a darker color, with the darker walls and furniture. I've been thinking about this in the back of my mind for my LR because we'll be installing medium colored hardwood and the loveseat isn't wearing well.

Did you see samples of the fabrics? I'd at least do that or try to see it in person if you can. I'd probably get something a little darker than the cream. Probably a green color, next choice would be a brown. Once you get some pillows, art, and maybe a rug, things might not seem so brown to you. For some reason I'd feel more comfortable with a lighter rug than a sofa. I don't know that it makes much sense though!

You could do the slipcover thing but will it bug you if it moves around? I'd personally rather throw a blanket on my sofa (& I'm wouldn't be real wild about looking at that all the time either) for an animal than mess with a slipcover. People say all the time how you can just throw them in the wash but that sounds like a huge pain to me. I'm assuming for the best fit you'd also have to have one custom made and that probably won't be cheap.

I really like that picture you're considering buying and think it would look very nice in your room. Can you tell me where you found it?

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

shee - I found the picture at Country Curtains of all places. My mother ordered this one for me for Christmas, but it hasn't come in yet:

I've seen the sofa in the lighter fabric. I'm not sure what it is, but it reminds me of linen or maybe tweed. There's a texture to it, which I like. I will definitely go down and look at the other samples in person if I decide to go with something darker.

• marlene_2007
    13 years ago

I'm just a lurker here, but when I saw you mention light and linen and eating on your couch, I had to chime in.

I am sitting on my off white linen couch as I type. To my left is a lovely chocolate stain from one of my hot fudge sundaes or truffles or both....to my right are coffee stains (one must have coffee with their chocolate). Those are just two of the stains that won't come out even after being professionally cleaned.

I love the couch you chose, btw.

I love white/light furniture and have always had it, even with two cats who continually "return" their meals on my furniture (for some reason that's easier to clean up). But, I have finally thrown in the towel. It's just too difficult to try and keep it look clean. I just ordered a chenille camel color couch and two espresso leather chairs and as much as I will miss my lighter couch and chairs, I will not miss the spots that just keep popping up.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

marlene - I just had to laugh. Chocolate and coffee are two of my favorite things!

Laurie

• marlene_2007
    13 years ago

Laurie, I've added a little turkey gravy since my last post! I truly need to start eating at the table....or stop dribbling.

Seriously, the couch is so pretty, you'll be happy with whatever color you choose.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think the rooms needs a darker tone than beige even if you discount the other factors. Get light pillows and you will see how often you need to change them.
    Maybe it is just me but the chemicals they use in Scotchguard and the like seem mighty powerful and may now be what you want to have so near you on a daily basis.

• User
    13 years ago

Without hesitation I would do the mocha color. You dont want to have a couch that you are afraid to use. I wouldnt be concerned about the dark couch, even if you have a darker wood floor, as I do, just get a lighter colored area rug and acceassories to contrast against the dark. IMO it is all about contrast. Your room can handle the darker couch and furniture, they will look fabulous with your green accents.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Roseabbey - I didn't think about having a rug inbetween the sofa and floor to give some contrast.

Can someone do a little PS magic for me? I never have been able to figure out how to use photoshop. I was leaning towards the mocha sofa yesterday, but then I put some pictures together on powerpoint and I'm not sure what I think of all the dark colors. I looked at fabrics that I could use for the curtains hoping I would see something I loved that would help bring the room together, but couldn't find anything.

Laurie

• suero
    13 years ago

The mocha sofa in your room:

• User
    13 years ago

OOOoooo.. the green looks great. :) That style of furniture alone changes the look of the room in a good way. You're making me want new furniture.
    Totally get that horse picture for on the wall.

• suero
    13 years ago

With the picture

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

msrose

you noted changed the carpet to hw? Do you have a time line on that - & will any of the tile that is running into the room from the kitchen or foyer end be replaced w/hw? The reason I ask is hw will totally change the room, and be an expanse of color. Will you put an area rug over the hw? Again, this will take up a large expanse in the room. So, you have 2 unknowns that will be taking up a large expanse of the palette. Given that, it would be very difficult to choose which way to go in the room.
    So many variables to take into account
    - If no tile is being replaced the color of the hw should compliment the tile imo - otherwise it will cause the room/s to look choppy & broken up. I don't think a dark stain hw would work against the tile. Tile seems to read an orange undertone on my monitor/
    - Have you considered just getting good duck type slipcovers for the current sofas until you lay the hw? this way you could purchase in a light color & help to decide long term which direction when you are purchasing new pieces. - Get some nice throw pillows for the color punches
    - good luck

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, suero! Even though the sofa is supposed to look brown, I do kind of like the green. Like I mentioned before, I'm just afraid of being tied into a color. I'm definitely getting the horse picture now. Can you do me one more favorite and PS the lighter sofa in?

jejvtr - I would just replace the carpet areas with the hardwood. I would love to eventually replace the tile with travertine. I picked my current wall color based on the tile color because that won't be that expensive to change somewhere down the line. I don't want to base any of my other choices on the tile though since it may change. I hadn't really thought about a rug until roseabbey mentioned it. I probably wouldn't get a rug at first, because I would want to be able to see the gorgeous hardwoods plus it probably wouldn't be in the budget. If I eventually felt like the room looked like something was missing, I would add the rug. I did think of adding slipcovers to my current sofa to try out the lighter color, but I don't think I can make it work because my cushions are attached. If there's a way I don't know about, let me know.

Laurie

• Jamie
    13 years ago

I just have to say how much I love the image of the horse and dog. The only way I could like it better would be if the dog was a Corgi.

I like the two different sofa colors in Suero's mockup. I would be very tempted to get a slipcover for one sofa and make it look like her photoshop. Were you going to keep one of the old ones and just get one new one? They look pretty good still.

I'm like Ingrid -- always thinking about dirt. I couldn't relax unless I knew I had someone coming to thoroughly clean and that the repeated cleanings would not cause the nap to raise.

• suero
    13 years ago

Here 'tis:

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

suero, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear about which one. Can you PS the off-white one in the original picture. I promise I won't ask for anymore :)

jamies - I hadn't thought to mention that, but I will be replacing both sofas.

It's amazing how just adding one picture makes the room look so much warmer.

Laurie

• suero
    13 years ago

Off-white one:

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you!!!

Laurie

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so excited! I never could figure out how to use Photoshop and then I realized I could make a mood board on Photobucket, so here they are. I still don't know which color sofa I'm going with, but I'm leaning towards the brown.

Off White sofa w/off white accents

Brown sofa w/off white accents

Blue accents

Green accents

Laurie

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I love the couch that you've chosen and think a slipcovered version would also look great in your room. You should get what you love or you might regret it but just looking at your first selections I was thinking the mocha would work better with your wall color. The lighter one seems to blend in more.

Now that I've seen the photoshop pic I definitely vote for
    the mocha. It's still a monotone look (which I love) but it really complements the wall color.

I have dining chairs slipcovered in ivory linen and spills do show up. I can launder mine though.

Now - off topic but please tell me the picture that you posted with the clock is your space and that you can tell me where you got it! I'm in love!

• loribee
    13 years ago

Yikes...it all looks good. Is there something in between the mocha and the off-white? I feel like you should have what you want- but I know we need to be practical.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

juddgirl2 - I wish that was my space. Unfortunately, I didn't make a note of where I got the picture. Sorry.

loribee - I'm so glad you mentioned something in between, because that was going to be my next question. I actually think the mocha is too dark, because my dog sheds and her hair would probably show up on it. I was wondering about going with something inbetween, but then it might be closer to the wall color. What about this color?

{{!gwi}}

Would that work or is it too close? Would a throw or pillows in a different color make it work?

Laurie

• User
    13 years ago

I need to learn how to make those boards. Neat and I like it all.

I really like the last color sofa!

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

shee - It doesn't bother you that it's close to the wall color?

juddgirl2 - I was just looking at Pier 1 and they have a similar clock to the one above.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Grandmother Clock

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

never mind on the clock! I just read the description a little closer and I think it's flat and hangs on the wall instead of being a floor clock. Duh!

Laurie

• suero
    13 years ago

The picture I posted dated Mon, Dec 27, 10 at 20:24 is your room with the medium colored sofa.

• donnawb
    13 years ago

When you get hardwood I would really reconsider doing the tile area in the hardwood also.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

suero - I think the one you posted looks good to me, because it looks green on my monitor, so it's different from the wall color. I was trying to come up with one that was that same medium tone, but a little closer to the wall color just to see if that would work. Does the one you posted look brown/tan on your monitor?

Laurie

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like the darker one in the room. If pet hair is a factor, the medium is still miles better than the light one. I don't know why, but it just doesn't look right in your room and the others seem to fit in better.

• User
    13 years ago

No, Lenox Tan seems pretty neutral and it's probably not an exact match. Once you get some pillows on there I think it would look very nice. I'm curious to see a swatch of the brown. I would def. not get a real dark color if you're worried about the dog hair.

Did you rule the light one out or are you still thinking about it? I honestly don't love the PS of the light but I'm thinking it could look nicer IRL since cream colors don't always read accurate on the computer.

My vote is for a green or medium brown color.

• loribee
    13 years ago

I would go that route or even a bit lighter. Remember, it's neutral and you can do anything with it...paint, pillows, throws, accessories etc. You will have such fun!

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

shee - I haven't completely ruled out the lighter one yet. I've saved several pictures of rooms with light sofas and accessories that look great, so I was also thinking it might look better IRL. My practical side is telling me to go darker though.

Laurie

• Regina Savage
    13 years ago

FWIW, we have a dark brown sofa - probably darker than the mocha - and 4 sizable and hairy dogs (husky, german shepherd, collies). They range in color from black and white to black and brown and I've had no issues with seeing dog hair on the couch (and they sit on it all the time). We had a lighter sofa before that was impossible to get the dog hair off and, even worse, the dirt they bring with them. I think it's more about the texture of the fabric for the dog hair and the darker color is certainly better in terms of dirt and stains.

• User
    13 years ago

I was thinking about your couch today situation today. Any news?

• scanmike
    13 years ago

Hi,

I have been lurking here and figured I would give some feedback also. When my children were little we had two sofa'a. The first was a brushed velvet in a deep plum color from Scandanavian Galleries (long time gone now). The fabric was awesome and hid everything, no matter how many times the kids were sick or the cat slept on it. Then we had a beige sofa in a cotton fabric, which also held up well, but was washable. Now I have a dark expresso leather sofa, which was a huge mistake with 3 cats. Despite having no claws in their front legs, they have destroyed the sofa ($$$ from Stickley) with tiny scratches all over it from chasing each other. My other sofa is a cream colored chenille. I can honestly say I miss the cream color in my living room and as long as the sofa you choose can be washed I wouldn't worry. I think the important thing about a sofa is not the color but the fabric. Who would have thought velvet would hold up against kids spills and other assorted stains? The chenille, even when gently cleaned, shades too much. Despite being light it held up well against cat hair and some spills. It doesn't hold up well against blue jeans and that's an impt fact. The color on the front edge of the sofa picks up the most dirt, color transfer etc. I love, love the style of your sofa and probably would get that style myself. I wanted it the first time and saw one by Lee Industries. I believe Pottery Barn also makes that style as well as Restoration Hardware. I also get tired and bored with colors and still would pick a neutral color cause you can always add pillows for punch or even repaint down the road. I would pick a color deeper than off white with a fabric that is washable.

• parkhouse
    13 years ago

I love the style of sofa you have chosen. I have two new
    Heritage sofas in off white matelaae by Rowe and I love them. Yes, I'm worried about the red wine stain eventually but you have to live and love what you spend good money for. Mine are scotch guarded and have all loose pillow seats and backs so they can be fipped if necessary. I just cross my fingers! Go for it. I also love your Lenox Tan.

• carolinesmom
    13 years ago

I purchased two mitchell gold sofas in 05 prekids/animals in a lemongrass linen and regret it. Not only does the color show wear and dirt, but the weave itself is not exactly the most forgiving. FWIW, I would to a medium tone in the most resilient fabric I could get (some sort of chenille, maybe?) I still love a light sofa though. I'm having new slipcovers made for the mitchell golds in linen colored Sunbrella fabric in their next incarnation. Hope that helps and good luck!

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi shee - Unfortunately, I haven't been to look at the other fabrics yet. My mother told me she wanted to get the sofa/loveseat for me, but then found out her dog had to have $1,000 knee surgery, so I haven't brought up going to look yet. I did find a possibility for curtain fabric though if I decide not to go with a solid off white curtain. Of course, I need to decide on the sofa first.

Laurie

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

For those that have said the velvet sofa's stand up to a lot, is that microfiber velvet? real Velvet? What the heck is real velvet anyway. I am in love with the crate and barrel velvet sofa thanks to a poster here and am thinking of going to see it.

I currently have leather furniture and it seems to stand up to four cats, three boys and DH very well, so I am hesitant to make a switch to fabric for durability purposes.

• scanmike
    13 years ago

Lucky you boopadaboo for having cats that didn't ruin leather. My leather is very soft and supple, so perhaps that's why their claws did a number on it. I had the brushed velvet sofa years ago that withstood everything. Not sure what it was made of though.