SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

If you were getting a lake house, which one would it be??

jakabedy
14 years ago

We're considering taking advantage of the market to get a (very inexpensive) lake place. But my analysis paralysis has set in, so I thought I'd get the thoughts of you very thoughtful people.

Option 1: A trailer on a leased lot on a popular "big" lake (power company reservoir). There would be lots of opportunity for boating, waverunners, tubing, etc. on the big lake. The leased lot arrangement is pretty standard in the area. You pay for the right to the lease and the value of the trailer. This will run from $15K to $75K (plus the annual lease fee of $1,200 - $2,400) depending on the location, the privacy and the quality/condition of the trailer. More $$ would probably be spent getting the trailer the way we wanted it. These lots are typically in "camps" with neighbors close and possible shared boat ramps and docks.

Option 2: A 1BR A-frame on 1.6 acres on a private 9-acre lake shared with 6 homes. This will be $50-70K depending on the deal made, and if an extra 1.6-acre lot next door is purchased. This is essentially a fishing and paddle-around lake surrounded by trees. The A-frame is described as a "fixer" (supposed to see it this weekend) so some money would likely be spent there, as well.

Both places are equidistant from our home, though the latter is closer to my mom and she might be able to use it more. DH will want to fish, and he can do that in either lake. Neither of us is big on the speed boat/ sailing/skiing aspect of a lake place. But if we got the "big lake" place we would either get a bigger fishing boat for DH or a little runabout of some kind, just because . . . well, how do you NOT get one? We are not big entertainers, either. It would be used mainly by the two of us, my mom, and the occasional couple who may come over with us for the day.

I'm torn because I really like the quaintness and privacy of the private lake, but I'm afraid I'll feel like I'm missing out on what the big lake has to offer. But then I think we would be crazy to get a leased place when we can buy. But then I think how we could get into a leased place for maybe $20-25K and how inexpensive that would be compared to buying.

And lest you think the solution is simple, there is . . .

Option 3: using a place an elderly friend owns. He says we can use it whenever we want, but we need to fix it up with our own $ as it has been let go. It is on a great lot on the main channel of a "big lake" but it has a 1956-ish aluminum trailer on it, consumed by privet hedge. The trailer's condition is questionable, the dock is gone and the trailer's deck needs to be condemned. I figure we would spend $10-15K easily getting the place into acceptable shape. This lot and location is better than any leased lot location we would find on a "big lake". If we were to buy this lot (and trailer) it would probably cost $80-110K.

Please help me before I analyze myself into a stupor.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional