SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treviza

AC/Heat/Hot water for whole house - which one would you choose?

treviza
13 years ago

We live in Metro Boston and have finally received enough quotes from contractors. Since I know next to nothing about HVAC prior to this project and I learned so much from this forum, I am asking what you think about these quotes... Honestly, they are more expensive than I expected. But the three quotes I got are all pretty close, so I guess that's just how much labor costs locally.

Our house is a colonial with unfinished basement. First and second floor are around 850 sf, and finished attic with cathedral ceiling is around 450 sq. The front of house faces east, and the back has a lot of trees to block out most western exposure. There is no existing ductwork, so the price quotes all include equipment + ductwork and are after all rebates/tax credit.

Quote #1 - $35190 (from a Carrier Factory Authorized dealer, also serviced our unit at our previous condo)

1st floor

Carrier 1.5 Ton 15 SEER Performance series condenser

Infinity series variable speed fan coil with DX coil + Hydronic hot water coil

Infinity series master thermostat

2+3 floor

Performance Series 2-stage condenser

Infinity series variable speed fan coil with DX coil + Hydronic hot water coil

Infinity zone control panel

Infinity smart sensor

Infinity series master thermostat

Heating

Lochinvar WBN151 135K Btuh 95% AFUE wall mounted condensing gas boiler with outdoor reset

45 gallon Superstor water tank

Quote #2 - $19546 excluding boiler and plumbing

This company took us to a house 1 mile from ours to show us their last project. It is more or less the same as ours and they were just done 2 weeks ago. Very nice handiwork, very meticulous, and the plumbing is amazing. The owner is very satisfied and highly recommended them too. The only downside - the plumber is not in-house, so I will have two contracts and deal with two contractors (and I am still waiting for the plumber's quote!)

1st floor

Bryant Evolution 186B 2 Ton 16 SEER condenser

Variable Speed Hydro-Pak fan coil

Evolution thermostat

2+3 floor

Bryant Evolution 2.5 Ton 16 SEER 2-stage condenser

Variable Speed Hydro-Pak fan coil

Zoning package, motorized damper and controls

Evolution thermostat

Quote #3 - $35660 (Lennox premium dealer)

The sales rep said they cannot give us tonnage until we sign the contract. They will do full load and manual J calculations to determine actual tonnage but will not change price once contract is signed

1st floor

Lennox XC17 condenser with winter cover

Variable speed air handlers in basement + hot water coil

Merv 16 filter with cabinet

ComfortSense 7000 thermostat

2+3 floor

Lennox XC21 2-stage condenser with winter cover

Variable speed air handlers + Hot water coil

Zone control

Merv 16 filter with cabinet

ComfortSense 7000 thermostat

Heating

Lennox GWB9-100 100 Btuh 90% AFUE condensing gas boiler with outdoor reset

45 gallon Superstor water tank

So... which one would you choose? And any suggested modifications to these proposals? I personally feels more comfortable with company #1 and #2, because I had spent enough time with them (previous experience or sales pitch) so I have a better idea of what I will be getting. But Bryant and Carrier are almost identical, and I am interested to know if Lennox may be better.

Thanks a lot for your input!

Comments (2)