SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Help me decorate the front of my house for holidays

2ajsmama
14 years ago

OK, the tree thread (and DD's asking for exterior lights on our house after seeing them on some houses in the area the w/e) got me in the mood for holiday decorating.

DH won't do 2nd story lights (and we don't own any) but said he'd put up lights on the porch roof. I'm tempted to wait until after Xmas to buy them (since we're going to redo the porch ceiling next year to correct builder mistake in beadboard direction, and add recessed lights, can add receptacle in ceiling too so we don't have extension cord running across ceiling and down the wall).

I loved the look of wreathes in the windows on the "2nd story lights" thread, but 9 wreathes might cost more than 48 ft of icicle lights LOL. I don't want to to hang a wreath on the newly-finished front door since with the wind around here, the wreath would scratch the stain (and it doesn't touch up well) even if the hanger didn't. Wind might be an issue with window wreathes too, but I figured if you stretched a wire or fishing line tightly top and bottom they might not rattle too much and destroy the screens?

Anyway, I have candles for the windows, was thinking maybe putting a heavy-duty Command hook on either side of the front door, and *maybe* DH could put lights on porch gutter? I'd love to have something in the peak above the center window but don't know if I can talk him into it since I don't think he could reach from porch roof and he won't climb onto the main roof.

I also loved those wicker-look deer (natural, not white) I saw in the other thread - of course there we're talking lots of $ before Xmas.

Any suggestions?

Sorry these pics are really old - the white rocker is still out, the oak rocker and the salt crock are stored for the winter. The ceramic planters to the sides of the front door are now empty since the mums faded. We bought white trim boards for the front of the porch and the stairs, but haven't installed them yet (and might not get them installed this year). I need help!

{{gwi:52074}}

*Maybe* I can get DH up on a ladder to put a big wreath in the garage peak (or below that window, since there's more room under than over), but would that look strange if the house peak is bare? This is the only pic I have really showing the whole front of the house (first day of school). If he put lights on the porch roof, would he have to put them on the garage too?

Comments (13)