SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelende

I feel so sad, have to get rid of beautiful area rug

shelende
15 years ago

I purchased the rug( made in China) 3 years ago from Home Goods for about $399.00 . It started to emit an outgassing odor that I could live with but now it is getting worse and people who come into the house comment on it. I called a few carpet cleaning companies and they said that it is most likely the glue that holds the rug together that is causing the odor. The backing of the rug is a quality looking woven off white material and it makes the rug look more like a high end rug than if the backing was made of a dark rubbery material. If it was some come of insect spray the odor would not be getting worse. So what do I do now? Throw it curbside? If I donated it to a goodwill store, someone would buy it and not realize it has a bad smell till they got it home. I purchased furniture that would go with the colors in the rug and now I have to not only buy a new rug that will go with my colors, but worry about this happening again.

This was discussed a while ago and many Pottery Barn rugs had this problem.

A real oriental rug is too prohibitive in price for me.

Does anyone on Long Island have any suggestions for where I can buy a nice 8x10 that would be reasonably priced and adequate quality. I would love to hear what other have to say about this and would welcome suggestions.

Comments (24)