SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ticodxb

ohhh I'm so sad --tomato leaves have curled!

ticodxb
13 years ago

I thought everything was going so well!

Lets see... I planted my tomato plants in their final pots on February 12th.. and then I noticed some of the lower leaves had white squiggly lines which were determined to be leaf miners...

The plants grew quickly though despite the leaf miners. The leaf miner problem hasn't really gotten worse.. then I watered the plants on the 16th... and then I just watered them again on the 21st.

each time I watered the plants noticeably grew. But about the 22nd I noticed the leaves were curling. Now, the wierd thing is two of the plants have leaves curled under and you can see water droplets on those leaves throughout the day... the other two tomato plant leaves are curled upwards and there are no water droplets... I took these pics on the 23rd:

these are the ones with the water droplets (the droplets look like white dots in the photos because of the camera's flash)

{{gwi:1300369}}

{{gwi:1300370}}

{{gwi:1300371}}

this is one plant with the leaves curling upward but no water droplets

{{gwi:1300372}}

I did research on Gardenweb and found that it may be that the soil is not draining well and the roots are getting water-logged.

The pots I bought did not have holes so I had my husband drill 5 holes for me in each one... the holes are smaller than the ones the carrots are growing in but there is those plastic inserts that are a bit elevated so the holes are not clogged by soil so should still drain well...

I have carrot plants that are growing well... now, when I water the carrots, I have tried a couple times to water them till water drained out just to make sure I am watering deep enough.

For the tomato plants, the last time I watered them I tried to make sure to water deep but no water drained out from the bottoms...

I haven't watered them at all since the 21st in hopes that it is the roots being water-logged and the soil needs to dry out a bit... But they are still having the same problem...here are pictures I just took:

this is from the plants that are curling under...but now there are not water droplets on them:

{{gwi:1300373}}

and the plants with the leaves curling upward still are curled upward:

{{gwi:1300374}}

I have looked on the underside of the leaves and don't notice any bugs on them... but I do still see the leaf miner fly everyday... but they only seem to be effecting the lower leaves.

any suggestions?

I finally found an organic tomato fertilizer (Yates Dynamic Lifter for Tomatoes) but haven't used it yet as I want to tackle...

Comments (17)