SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pksinan

I'm So Confused About Yellow Leaves

pksinan
18 years ago

My apologies in advance for the long post, but I need to get this off my shoulders. I have 6 plants - 2 Anna Russian, 2 Eva Purple Ball, 2 Red Brandywine planted in two 4' X 8' raised beds (three plants in each). All but one EPB are pushing 7 feet tall. They've fallen over the tops of my Texas tomato cages. Lots of new green growth on top, all have lots of flowers, all have fruit, Anna Russians are turning red. The seeds are from Heirloom Seeds. I strated my beds last year. I filled the beds with commercial top soil and amended with compost from our townwhip transfer station as well as my own. I planted a winter rye cover crop last fall and turned it under in the Spring 6 weeks before planting. I have fertilized twice, once at planting and once as the first fruits were setting a few weeks ago - I used Gardens Alive Tomato Plus fertilizer. I did one application of liquid kelp as a foliar spray in between. We've had a horribly hot, wet July...typical of the Delaware Valley.

Now for the confusing part. All 6 plants are gradually turning yellow from the bottom, up the center, literally inside the cages. Some leaves have lesions like Early Blight, others have no lesions, they just turn to pale yellow. Some leaves fade from green to light green to yellow, others get lesions first and then turn yellow. Some branches, but not all, eventually wilt and turn brown, others just seem to get really pale. It appears that as the tops of the plants toppled over the cages, they crowded or crushed branches against the cage rungs below. Those branches are turning yellow and dying. From a ways back, the plants look totally healthy and continue to grow, flower and set fruit. When you get up close, however, you realize there is a big problem.

It's worth mentioning, I have one EPB that appears stunted compared to the others. It wilts during the heat of the day and revives at night. It seems to have stopped growing. The fruit are not getting any bigger. It's color is off compared to the others, sort of a grayer shade of green. It too has a lot of yellowing and dying branches up through its center.

I have sprayed the plants twice with Chlorothalinol, but only using premixed stuff and I only started after the plants were pretty big, so it's hard to get the spray up inside.

For what it's worth, the leaves of my beans in another bed nearby are also turning yellow and wilting, many with Early Blight type lesions. Also, my tomato plants had the same problem last year, only much worse. But the rain was a lot worse last year and I had too many plants in each bed.

Questions for the group:

1) Is this all likely fungal and I just need to be more diligent about spraying next year, maybe space plants even further apart?

2) Do I possibly have a virus imported with my topsoil or through the compost I used?

3) Could I have a nutritional problem? My soil is far from perfect.

4) Could it be environmental - heat, mositure, etc?

5) Any other tests I can perform or information I can gather to help you make a diagnosis?

-Peter

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville