SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subinse

Hi! I'm new and I'm confused about backsplash choice!

subinse
15 years ago

Hello! I have never seen so many great kitchen ideas and gorgeous kitchens in all my days! Some of the members here could be professional designers! (and come help me!)

We are only doing a minor kitchen update as we plan to sell in a few years after our youngest graduates high school. Replacing formica with granite (uba tuba,bull nosed edge) adding a backsplash of 4x4 tiles and a new cook top.

I just have a couple of questions that I hadn't even thought of and the granite and tile guys come on Tuesday so I better make my decisions fast!

My downdraft electric cook top is under the window (ugh,but I've lived with it for 15 years and a major remodel to move it!)

There is 10.5 inches from the bottom of the window to the counter/cook top. I am planning to put the backsplash tiles on the diagonal elsewhere but I was wondering if I should do something different behind the cook top? I was thinking of putting the tiles on the square there. Would that look odd?

Also, I am adding some 2x2 decorative inserts and I was wondering if they should cut out my 4x4 tiles to inset the 2x2 or do they somehow affix it on top? I always thought it would be the former but I have been looking at photos in the finished kitchens blog and have seen some where it appears they are set on top.

I am adding a picture of the kitchen and excuse the mess and chipped paint on the cabinets! Must touch that up! We are in remodel mode. New floors are being installed Friday and my husband is currently replacing the wooden spindles on the staircase with iron! Dust and junk are everywhere!

I hope my pics aren't too large! Thank you for any suggestions!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County