SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_hobbit

Heirloom Tomato Plant Leaves Curling - detailed

Garden_Hobbit
10 years ago

If this question has already been answered I apologize for asking again but I haven't seen anything in the archives that's specific to my situation.

I'm growing 3 cherokee purple tomato plants on my back patio in 5 gallon buckets. Of the 3 only the one has leaves that are curling. I planted it with Miracle Grow potting mix (not soil!) and 3 whole organic eggs several inches below the plant. Only the "problem child" has the eggs in the soil.

Each 5 gallon bucket has 5 holes in the bottom for drainage.

The past few weeks I've been fertilizing them all with a vegetable fertilizer once every other watering (as it says to do on the bottle). They have all responded well to this and have been growing great.

Of the 3 the one I'm having the curling problem with is the only one that has set fruit on it (just 2). They are pretty small still but you can see it growing out if your at the right angle.

The leaves have been curling almost a week. Now today I went out and checked on them (as I do several times a day) and the top bunch of new leaves are all drooping but none of the other plants are and the lower plant of the "problem child" doesn't have any drooping leaves.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I have several other plants out there, those are just the only cherokee purples and the CP's all receive the same care.

Temperatures have fluctuated this past week between 80 and 90 degrees f. Every watering is almost 2 quarts of water and you can see the water drain out the bottom shortly after.

Sorry if my post seems all over the place but i figured the more details I give the easier it is to spot the problem.

Comments (11)