SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teeda_2006

Need quick help choosing thrift store console!

teeda_2006
15 years ago

We bought a large flat screen (52") for our recently finished basement media room. I've been looking for some type of console/credenza to place under the screen (it will be wall mounted). I was hoping to find an inexpensive vintage piece with clean lines. These are getting hard to find, though, because lots of people are using them for flatscreens. I've looked at new pieces, but don't really want to spend hundreds and everything that I like is pricey.

The only furniture in the room is a big black leather sectional (not my typical taste but very comfy for all us to curl up and watch films). I have a brown multi-tone shag rug, oak laminate floors and a neat old MCM folding rope chair. Anyhow, the dresser that the flatscreen currently sits on needs to go to DDs apartment tomorrow, so I have two choices at the local Salvation Army. I was planning to buy the plain 70's era long dresser which I would paint (probably paint the frame and top black and keep the drawers stained--perhaps). It is NOT a well made piece, but for $30 and some paint I could make it look pretty decent and it would provide storage. But then this morning I spotted this cool burl/chrome/metal console. It was $35. It has a Thayer Coggin feel to it (I've seen similar stuff on Ebay and it is $$$). No storage though, and don't know where I'd put the DVD player. I'd be tempted to paint the metal black of bronze, but worry that I would destroy what it is meant to be if I did that. I did go ahead and buy the burl piece because I didn't think it would last and know I could resell it for what I paid. But I'm wondering if the repainted dresser would be more practical. Should I go for form over function and get the burl table until I find something totally perfect?? Need to make a firm decision before I drag poor DH into this--he has made it clear that there is no space left in the garage for my "mistakes" LOL!!!

Dresser:

Burl console:

Thanks for your honest opinions!

Comments (15)