SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Island Help Please- I am at wit's end

localeater
11 years ago

I think my sweet, patient cabinet maker is starting to get annoyed with me. I can't figure out my island. It doesn't feel right.

My KD drew up a plan with a raised bookcase on the end, a cabinet facing the dining room and a raised eating area. Here's that plan but I didnt want a raised eating area.

From Kitchen Planning

I like the idea of the raised bookcase on the end, because it is sort of a drop zone when I come in the front door and because when I am cooking a recipe from my tablet I can have my tablet elevated and out of the spill zone. Here is the revised plan.

From Kitchen Planning

Now I am wondering if I should just go with a big flat island? Should I have anything; bookcase, cupboard with doors, facing the front hall. If I do have something facing the hall should it be the same height as rest of island or elevated? Should I have a cabinet facing the dining area? Oh, maybe it shouldn't even be a rectangle? One really early sketch had it as a piece of pie. Some notes worth mentioning: I do not want a prep sink. I only care about seating for 2.

Some islands I love:

Mediterranean Kitchen design by Tel Aviv Architect NURIT GEFFEN-BATIM STUDIO

Traditional Kitchen design by Minneapolis Design-build w.b. builders

Traditional Kitchen design by Grand Rapids Architect Visbeen Associates, Inc.

Contemporary Kitchen design by Portland Kitchen And Bath WoodWorks INC.

Please help.

Comments (7)