SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnvh_gw

At wit's end with hot water baseboards-- please help!

cnvh
17 years ago

I'm beginning to feel like DH and I are on Candid Camera, as far as our heat system is concerned. At this point, I'm not sure what, if anything, we're doing wrong... or maybe our heat system is possessed???

We bought the house (100-year old farmhouse, well-maintained) in December 2004. It has a hot water baseboard system, with 3 "loops" covering the entire house; the whole first winter, the heat worked fine-- the only noises we would ever hear were the occasional "dings" as the pipes would expand and contract with the heat, but no sounds of running water.

Last summer, we remodeled an upstairs bathroom, which necessitated moving one of the baseboards, so we of course had to drain the system. At that point, we didn't really understand the concept of "loops," so we just drained the entire system. We ran new pipes for the bathroom, tested them, found a leak, fixed it; tested it again, no leaks, so we then re-filled the system.

Last winter (after the bathroom remodel), when the heat system would come on, we were able to actually HEAR water running through the heat pipes-- meaning we knew we had air in the system. We tried going from heater to heater, bleeding the air out individually, but we were not able to get all of the air out.

Finally we called a furnace technician to come and inspect the system (which it needed anyway, for its routine "check-up"); he said there was nothing wrong with the system and everything was in good working order. He showed us how to bleed the air out of the system by attaching a garden hose to each of the loopsand then running water through them until no more air "spurts" come out. (A heck of a lot better than trying to do it on each baseboard!) He DID tell us that we might have to do this again periodically entil all the air would come out, but for the most part, last winter was much quieter after the technician's visit.

Towards the end of the heating season, the "running water" noise was back in one of the loops, and we just couldn't seem to get rid of it. We eventually discovered a small leak in one of the baseboard bleeder valves (and some slight damage to the underlying hardwood floor, unfortunately), so we replaced the valve and tested the system-- no leaks, so we filled that loop back up again, and it quieted the running water noise.

No sooner did we take care of the leaky baseboard, one of the OTHER loops got noisy. We searched and searched, but found no leaks. Hubby thought he might not have closed off a proper valve after he flushed the system, so we went BACK down to the basement and flushed ALL THREE loops with the garden hose again, hoping to fix the problem once and for all.

Well apparently we just angered the Furnace Gods, because now our WHOLE HOUSE sounds like a waterfall whenever the heat system kicks on.

AND WE CAN'T FIND ANY WATER LEAKS ANYWHERE!!!!

Someone please tell me what we might be doing wrong, because it's driving me crazy. Might it have something to do with the expansion tank not working properly? I'm hoping to not have to call the furnace technician again, since I'm having surgery soon and will be off work for a few weeks, so money will be tight.

Please help-- any suggestions welcome!

Comments (20)