SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayleyautumn

Help! My blueberry bushes are dying and I am at my wits end.

kayleyautumn
9 years ago

I apologize if this topic has been covered a bazillion times before- I just feel like all the suggestions of solutions to what I thought were my problem have not worked at all and I am beginning to get very frustrated with myself.

I am a very new gardener. I live in Boise, Idaho where it is very dry. It is a high desert climate, and we are currently experiencing temperatures in the daytime of anywhere between 90 and 100 degrees consistently for the last month or so.

Here are the pictures of my blueberries. I already have had two smaller plants die completely on me and these guys were doing great for awhile until about a week ago.

I bought these plants from a nursery and they all did great in their original soil until I brought them home. I thought I might have a pH problem so I measured the soil pH with one of those pronged meters, and I originally got a reading of about 5.8 in my containers. For some reason the pH then started to rise. Even after amending my soil with elemental sulfur and replacing most of the soil in the container with peat moss, I still see my bushes dying.

It didn't occur to me until recently that perhaps my hose water may be the problem. A lightbulb went off in my head- I thought I was over watering my plants before so I tried to cut back on watering because I noticed that whenever I watered them, the next day the leaves started to brown. I figured I was drowning them, but I was very confused because the soil never seemed muddy or overly damp.

I am now thinking that my water is too alkaline. I have, for the short term, added Apple Cider Vinegar around the base of my bushes to bring the pH down and I am now getting a reading of about 4.5, which I am happy about but my two Pink Lemonade blueberry bushes don't seem to be too pleased. What am I doing wrong? Am I too impatient? Will it take a little bit before I see any improvement? I am worried these little bushes are going to die before I figure this out. Could it perhaps be that they are receiving too much sun and heat?

I am very distressed. I admit I am very new to gardening but I really enjoy it and I would like to save my plants.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

Sponsored