SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
downsouth_gw

Am I the only one at their wit's end choosing a paint color?

downsouth
13 years ago

I have bought about five little jars of paint samples from Home Depot. What I learned from all these samples is that "cream" is not the answer.

So I read about Duron's Tobacco Road color and how popular it is. Since Sherwin Williams bought out Duron, off I headed yesterday to Sherwin Williams to get yet another sample of paint. Their samples are sold in quarts, so I headed to the house to paint Tobacco Road on the walls. What a huge disappointment. It's way too gold for me and too dark.

Now I am back at the beginning and have to start all over again. Luckily, we don't live in this house yet so I'm free to paint on the walls as much as I wish, lol.

What I want is the lightest gold that isn't yellow but I don't want it to be so light that all the white trim doesn't show. Woe is me....I even looked at mid tone golds but even those are looking too dark and too gold.

I may have to give up on the lightest gold and just go with some type of beige/tan, then I worry about getting pink tones which I absolutely hate!

I can't afford to paint these walls again, as I'm hiring a painter and we are too old to be climbing ladders. The ceilings are high in the great room and dining room. He just finished removing all the popcorn texture from the ceilings and it's just beautiful! I may have to go back and buy more samples (without DH knowing...he already said I've wasted enough $$$ to buy a gallon, lol). Maybe I just need to forget about the "lightest" gold and go buy samples of SW's Whole Wheat or Ecru.

Why is it so hard to find the perfect color?

Comments (15)