SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barb5_gw

Can this be fixed?

barb5
13 years ago

I am upset....really, really upset.

I woke up this morning to find the upholstery on my favorite recliner shredded by one of the cats. The chair is usually under a slipcover, but last night DS, who is home for the holidays, stayed up late and when he finally went to sleep, he did not arrange the slipcover to cover the entire seat cushion. A few hours being unprotected was all it took.

I have already cried and woken up DS to show him the damage. He feels terrible (he is a good kid, but a typical 20 year old male who does not think about his mother's cherished upholstery at 2:am when he goes to bed.) And I am feeling terrible about putting so much emphasis on "things" and feeling that I am so tired of having so many animals (2 cats and 2 dogs) and really wish we could just have 1 small dog. I love them, and we will make sure they have good lives, but they have become an obligation and not a joy frankly.

Anyway, do any of you good people have any suggestions on how this can be fixed? I am afraid of just snipping the threads, thinking the fabric may unravel and create holes. I am thinking maybe I can tie threads together and then snip. Or perhaps some fabric glue where I can reach the back of the fabric, but will I get hard spots on the seat? Help!

The damage:

The room:

Comments (19)