SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_26314500

Toilet leaking at wax seal. What can I do until I can get it fixed?

User
8 years ago

Today, I discovered that the only toilet in the house is leaking at the wax seal. I see a little water on the floor around two sides of the base of the toilet. The water is coming from under the toilet. Is there anything I can do until I can get this fixed? I'll have to hire someone, because I'm injured. Also, could the plumber I hired about six months ago have caused the wax seal to eventually fail?

Several months ago, I hired a plumber to fix the broken shut off valve and to replace old parts in the toilet tank and to make sure everything else was working fine. When he arrived, I showed him that the toilet is missing two of its four bolts (they were missing when I moved in, and I don't have them). I told him that the toilet has some slight movement. The wax seal was replaced a few years earlier and was not leaking at the time I hired the plumber.

Well, the plumber didn't replace the missing bolts. At one point, I saw him sitting on the toilet with his legs facing the toilet tank. He is a very large man, and I was worried about the toilet becoming looser. He finished the work, and later when I went to use the toilet, I found that there was more movement than before. So the plumber never fixed the slight movement in the toilet and made the movement worse perhaps by bearing all his weight onto the toilet while fixing it. And today (about six months later), the wax seal failed. Maybe it failed because of the worsening of the movement of the toilet.

I should have called the plumbing company right away when I found the toilet moving more after the plumber finished. And I should have told them that he didn't replace the missing bolts.

How soon does this wax ring need to be replaced? Can this wait a week for a plumber to fix? I have paper towels around the base of the toilet right now, and I'm trying not to use the toilet as much, but it's the only toilet in my house. What can I do besides soak up the water on the floor? Right now the visible leak is small, and it just started about ten hours ago. I can't fix this myself. Obviously, I don't want water damage to the wood structure. I don't know what to do.

Right now I wish I was a cat. I could just go in my litter box...just kidding (well, maybe not...lol).

Thanks for any help.

Comments (8)