SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Have you seen any good coat/hall trees lately?

Sueb20
13 years ago

I'm looking for a freestanding coat tree for my small foyer. In the pic below, you can see the one piece of furniture we have there -- an old church pew. I'd like to find a coat tree to stand to the right of the bench, because we have a coat closet that is already crammed full of stuff, and when we have guests, they usually just toss their coats on the bench/pew. Plus, I just like coat trees. I think it would be neat to have it there with an interesting hat and scarf hanging from it...in summer, a straw hat... etc. Problem is, I can't find one that I like.

The pew is dark oak, and the stair railing, which you can't see, is a light oak. In the adjacent living room, we have dark mahogany wood trim. So we have a mix of woods. I have seen one tree in a dark wood but it was very new/shiny looking, and next to the old pew, it seemed like the new/shiny wood would look cheap or at least "too new" if you know what I mean. Metal would be okay, but all the metals ones I've seen have been either very contemporary or very delicate/girly looking. Around our first floor, we have a variety of furniture styles but much of it is Arts & Crafts/Mission, other antiques in dark woods, and a few Pottery Barn items mixed in. So, I'm looking for something to complement what we already have. Also, the bench in the foyer is 24" deep, with the side panel being about 17". Ideally, I'd like the tree to be no larger than about 18" deep/diameter.

That's a lot to ask for... which may be why I haven't found anything yet! I have seen a couple of antiques but one was too big and the other was much too wobbly.

Here is a pic of the wall. Since the pic was taken, I've added a small oil painting on either side of the mirror.

And here are the stairs.

Below is a link to one I liked at Ballard, but it seems a little big? No dimensions are given (so annoying).

Here is a link that might be useful: coat tree

Comments (18)