SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editionk_gw

New Constr. Design Challenge: Vent Hood or Above Range Micro?

editionk
12 years ago

Am planning a 14x18 kitchen/eating area addition. Have a design I like but when I saw an elevation drawing the cabinet above the over the range micro looked sadly out of place.

Re-drew it with a vent hood for kicks and had an 'a-ha, love it' moment.

However, I'm re-using current appliances and new appliaces are Phase 15 of the project unless they die sooner.

I'm very much grounded in reality, very practical, aware of budget. I'm not a gourmet cook, I don't even enjoy cooking. A standard above the range micro has served me well for years.

I'm trying to balance pleasing aesthetic design with reality, practicality and budget. I'd like your opinions (even to the point of a re-design).

Here's a thread with background info:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0709545325340.html

ABOVE RANGE MICRO VIEW 1

ABOVE RANGE MICRO 2

---::: OR :::---

VENT HOOD VIEW 1

(Note: the windows above the desk and immediately to the left should be drawn as awning windws 24w x 18t that are mounted high equal to the height of the slider).

VENT HOOD 2

---

Should I simply go with Design 1 with standard micro and "get used" to the look of the upper cab?

Re-design?

Fork the money for the vent hood/new micro/more pricey micro cab and trust you that I'll love it even though no one I know IRL has a vent hood?

Something else?

I'm not a knick-knack display a lot type person and don't want a shelf above those windows. I prefer an open look and feel.

Thank you!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!