SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravmd

Back again with PLAN A! Any more comments to improve?

ravmd
15 years ago

First of all -thanks for so many who helped us weigh out our Plan A vs. Plan B floor plan. I really do like both of them and it is so hard to decide. We are getting bids on the construction for Plan A at the moment so I let my brain rest for a while and now I am back for more help!

Just wanted to post some of the details of the plan A floor plan to see what further improvements we can make. Even if you voted for PLAN B - I would love to hear from you to see your ideas on making this one better!

I do think this plan works well for different zones: prep, cooking , clean up, entertaining etc...

This is really long and guess I am just looking for general feedback for all the various areas so i tried to put some questions /concerns below.But feel free to comment on anything that will improve things overall!!!

I am trying to think thru the details of - coffee, toaster, making school lunches, food and dish storage etc.

1)Dish Storage/DW's:

I know I have been warned of separate DW's in 2 locations rather than together -I do like one in the island for putting prep bowls,pots in(the drawing shows a small under sink one, but it will be a regular one). It seems tempting to add kids breakfast dishes there (but not if the dish storage is by the main sink) So just trying to convince myself that I will train myself to use the clean up sink/DW/storage on the east wall rather than the island one. Will I have dishes all over the place?

2)Pantry: do we need pantry storage in the 'main part' of the kitchen?

I am wondering if with this large of the kitchen if too many people will be in the same areas (on the south side of the island and back in the tucked away pantry area)? Trying to think if it would be better to store some things such big boxes of cereal somewhere so kids can get that as well as their bowls and milk easily - it seems kind of spread out right now. It seems tucked away but I guess it's no different than where a walk in pantry would be.

Also-not too crazy about the look of the 4 tall pantry doors -think drawers would be better for us/kid access and then not sure on top? Pull outs or fixed shelves?

3)Toaster/MW area: We are not doing a MW/oven combo -just an Advantium most likely. If we do an undercounter Advantium there -would the toaster oven make sense on the counter to the right of the sink? Or back in the wet bar area?

Thought even the left hutch will be underutilized -except for entertaining but wouldn't want the toaster sitting out there in the open.

4)Back Slider Wall/Hutches: As you can see we added a four panel french slider instead of the double.Therefore the 2 hutches on the side were reduced in size (to about 5 feet), leaving room for a 2' casement window. I know some recommended against them so I wanted to include the EXTERIOR view to see if you still think that way. Seems to balance things nicely. It would be a push out casement (not a crank).

5)Range and Fridge Wall: My DH always wanted a built in SS 48" fridge/freezer. I am wondering with a 36" range in SS on that wall if we should do custom white panels on the fridge? Won't it be too much SS and too little white cabinetry on this area? (Sink area /pantry cabs will be white and the island and back hutches will be espresso).

6)Wet bar/left hutch-these show 21"d counters. They will be changed to 24" to accommodate beverage center/ice maker. Plan to use this area for the kids to get glasses of water rather than a fridge water dispenser.

Guess that should be enough for now.

Exterior Sliders and Casement Windows

Screen Porch and Back of house

1st floor layout

Kitchen Layout

Wet Bar-right

Left Hutch by Breakfast/dining room

French sliders to patio

Sink/Advantium/Pantry wall

Range and Fridge wall

Trying to figure out more of the storage issues and how I will organize the kitchen efficiently -it is a bit overwhelming.

Comments (20)