SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muskokascp_gw

New and improved(?) kitchen addition plans !!

muskokascp
13 years ago

We did a complete redesign and thanks to those who confirmed my concern with the initial plan - it helped me make the decision to scrap the whole thing and start over.

A little background - I am a natural light junkie. I live in Eastern Canada where the winter daylight hours are shorter. It is often dark before I get home. About 3 yrs ago I took a new job - unfortunately my (small) office is in the basement of a building and has concrete walls. I am sure I am vitamin D deficient !! We decided to renovate instead of moving. The goal was to add more windows and make the kitchen more modern and stylish. As you can see from the current kitchen pics we have a very dark kitchen and the sun just doesn't make much of an appearance through the current windows.

The new plan adds 9'6" X 28' to the back of the house. The kitchen will have 20' of this and the pantry 8'. The kitchen will be white and bright and sunny!!

There are no upper cabinets, just the range breaking up the long run of counter. There will be a built in space with open shelves at the end of the run to house glasses. This will steal about a foot from the pantry. The island is 10' X 5' and the stools will be sitting right about at the edge of the current main counter. The entry into the dining room will be 7' with 3' walls on either side of the opening. I have wonderful windows in the dining room which I will now be able to enjoy.

{{gwi:1934761}}

One of the concerns before was the large empty space behind the island to the back wall. It is about 8' from the stools to the back wall but I don't think it will be too vast.

I would like to have 2 dishwashers - do I put them both on the island - but then I lose some storage space - or in the pantry? I don't mind it in the pantry really..I want a second oven and this plan just doesn't allow for wall ovens and again I don't think I want in in the island... So I think I need to figure out the pantry design to allow for a small sink, second dishwasher, Advantium oven and small fridge/freezer. There are 3 adults and 2 teenagers in the house. The fridge and freezer I have now are just not big enough. We have a standup freezer in the basement that I am always running down too so I would like to have additional space upstairs in the pantry area. I may need to use the pantry wall that is 9' as well as the 6' counter and scrap the 4'2 counter behind the fridge. I am not willing to give up any of the windows in the main kitchen for these appliances.

As always I appreciate ALL thoughts, comments and suggestions.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!