SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

bathroom tile plan - I'm back with more details (long)

3katz4me
14 years ago

Hi again,

I posted this in my earlier thread but it's slipping away unnoticed so I thought I'd start over with what I need help with now that I've put together more specifics. I'm not sure how much value there is in any photos as I'm gutting the current bathroom so anything that's there now will be gone. I have some though so if it would be helpful let me know.

I do really like that Crossville Savoy tile and it seems like there is some way I could make that work - though I was initially put off because many of the trim pieces come in gloss finish only and I want matte finish subway tile. I looked more at their brochure and they show the combo of matte and gloss so maybe that's okay.

This is a 7 x 7.5 bathroom - will have clean simple lines, dark wood vanity, off white toilet and tub, Witch Hazel Corian counter (ivory with brown marble-ish pattern) and I want the tile to be ivory/beige possibly with some brown accents. Everything entirely neutral (towels, etc. will provide color).

I think I have pretty much settled on some kind of subway tile. I keep liking that look every time I see it over anything else I see. I don't want any kind of travertine because I have had that in my kitchen for the last five years and I want something different. I want a matte tile though and that seems to present some complications. I also ran into some snags with an off white tub and off white tile - like trying to match but missed - so then I went to something slightly darker.

I've been looking as Crossville Savoy tile and settled on 3x6 matte subway in Cafe for the walls with Linen trim/accents until I found out that most of their trim pieces only come in a glossy finish. I think I'd like to somehow use the Linen pinwheel tile with the Cafe dot in the middle as the decorative row near the the top. What I'm not sure about is the chair rail piece which is gloss only or just using a bullnose top - which wasn't really what I wanted to do. I am going for a more contemporary look though so as much as I love the old fashioned subway and hex look I think I need to moderate that a bit.

So here's what I'm trying to figure out.

Shower/tub combo and walls will have some kind of subway running bond type field tile. Could be 3x6 or 4x8 but not the larger stuff. Shower will have walls and ceiling tiled. Walls outside the shower will go up to 48 inches. On the walls outside of shower I'd like something like this:

some kind of chair rail type piece

row of tile

liner piece of tile

something decorative that's maybe 4 inches wide (like the pinwheel)

liner piece

rest of field tile

maybe a moulding type tile at the bottom where it joins the floor

I'm not sure if I would continue any of this into the shower or just have the shower "plain" subway or with some other kind of "decorative/interesting" accent. I'm leaning toward plain since there is so much other stuff in the tub/shower area.

Not sure about the floors. I was kind of intrigued by the Savoy hex tiles though I'm also thinking about some kind of larger running bond medium colored floor tile with medium grout so discoloring over time isn't an issue.

I haven't even thought about paint color though it will be something neutral. It's a small room without a window so I think a light color of some sort so maybe the top edge of the tile should be the darker Cafe color so it doesn't all just blend together.

Though this picture isn't quite the kind of tile I'd want I like this bathroom - the clean lines, the colors, etc.

bathroom design by toronto interior designer BiglarKinyan Design

Comments (11)