SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tudor_guy

Bathroom tile & stone install... The order of things. (Long)

tudor_guy
16 years ago

Hello all.

Let me give a description of my task at hand and then ask some questions...

I am working on a pretty large remodel on my house and it involves several bathrooms (doing one at a time) along with a kitchen, Family Room and basement. The first bathroom (first floor) has been gutted and I am down to (wall) studs, (ceiling) Joists and the basement ceiling (3/4" tongue and groove planking).

The anticipate main floor area will be layered as follows:

3/4" Cotswold Limestone

Thinset Mortar (1/8")

DK Heating Systems Electric radiant heat mat (1/8")

1/2" Durock

Thinset Mortar (1/8")

3/4" Marine Grade Plywood

7/8" Sleepers

Basement Ceiling

I am putting a 36" Florestone Terrazzo neo-angle shower base in with two stub walls and a small faux-lintel over the doorway (to give it more of a built in look). My intention is to have the floor of the shower base at the same level as the floor of the room, so it will be set 2" into the floor.

I expect the shower floor area will be layered as follows:

Terrazzo Shower Base

Thinset Mortar (1/8")

1/2" Durock

Thinset Mortar (1/8")

1/2" Marine Grade Plywood

Basement Ceiling

We are planning on tiling the interior of the shower (except the ceiling) and I expect the shower layering to be as follows:

Joists

Plastic Vapor Barrier

1/2" Durock

Laticrete Hydroban

Thinset Mortar

Tile (except the ceiling)

Behind the sink will be:

1/2" Durock

Laticrete Hydroban

Thinset Mortar

Tile

The balance of the bathroom:

5/8" Drywall

Here are the questions...

1) Does everything look okay?

2) Should I use the Laticrete Hydroban on all surfaces (floor, ceiling and walls) throughout the bathroom (as opposed to just the shower area)?

3) Should I put up a plastic vapor barrier behind the walls and ceiling throughout the bathroom (as opposed to just the shower area)?

4) If I should use the laticrete on the floor, I assume it should be on top of the Durock... Could it be effected by the heat of the radiant heating mat?

5) Any recommendation for a particular mortar? Grout? Sealer for the limestone? Sealer for the grout?

6) Regular Drywall or greenboard?

7) Anything else I should know or keep in mind?

Thanks in advance,

Derek

Comments (7)