SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Please vote on the flooring for my house!

Pipdog
10 years ago

After an exhaustive search at "Tile Mile" in Anaheim (what a selection!), we've narrowed our flooring options down to 3. Here are the contenders (from left to right):

1) mid-tone gray-ish beige but still fairly light plank.

2) a much lighter handscraped plank; and

3) a darker greyish-brown plank.

Here they are:

The rooms will all be painted BM Swiss Coffee and the style of the home is MCM. The flooring will be in the kitchen, den and living room (approximately 1,600 sq feet of space). The yellowish wood tones in the paneling (walls, ceiling) will be painted white. Here's the space with the current yellow wood, black tile and grasscloth wallpaper:

Down the road we intend to replace the kitchen and other cabinets in the house with a much richer walnut, similar to this look:

Midcentury Kitchen by Victoria Interior Designers & Decorators Meade Design Group

or maybe this:

Midcentury Kitchen by Austin Architects & Designers Cornerstone Architects

So, what should I choose -- 1, 2 or 3? or keep looking?

I am leaning toward the lightest one, but I'm a bit concerned that it is handscraped. Unfortunately, the manufacturer does not make a non-handscraped version of this color, or it would be perfect. I'm not sure about the idea of handscraped flooring in a MCM, but I have seen some nice looking combinations of textured floors with rich walnut wood in a MCM setting. For example, this:

Midcentury Living Room by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators The Office of Charles de Lisle

The juxtaposition of MCM/clean lines/warm wood/white walls tones could work well with this lighter, hand scraped floor, or it could be a total fail. I'm having a really hard time with this decision. What do you all think?

This post was edited by pipdog on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 21:50

Comments (34)