SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Need to make a decision fast! Help! (sorry, got long)

lkplatow
16 years ago

Our house was built in 1998 as a reproduction of a 200 year old farmhouse. The family room has a wood paneled ceiling with beams that is currently finished with a dark stain and no polyurethane. For energy efficiency and compliance with building code, we are about to have the ceiling taken down, some drywall installed behind it, and then have the paneling and beams reinstalled. While the panels and beams are down, my contractor suggested that I either coat the wood with a coat of flat polyurethane (to help repel dirt and dust) or paint it. It would definitely be easier to do this while the ceiling is down, and since that is happening next week, I need to figure out quickly whether I want to keep the wood stained finish or paint the ceiling some kind of color.

There is a woodstove in this room that is our main source of heat from December-March, so I need to consider the soot/smoke factor (one of the reasons I'd coat the wood with poly if we're keeping the stained finish). Thus, I am hesitant to paint the ceiling a light color. But I'm not super fond of the dark stain either, and it will certainly be more difficult to conceal damage caused by the removal and reinstallation of the ceiling (I'm assuming there will be at least some damage to the wood).

I plan to paint the fireplace wall at some point - it was constructed from antique doors that have been stripped and stained with an odd pinkish shade, and the paint is left in the grooves. I don't like the effect at all and was thinking of painting it a dark oxblood red, brown, or some other "historical" color. Perhaps I should carry that across the ceiling as well?

The walls are getting painted in either Lancaster Whitewash or Greenmount Silk (I still haven't decided on the final color). Both are a light yellowish/cream. The rest of the trim in the house is white. The blue sofas and rug were purchased for our last house and are well past their prime. I'm just waiting til my kids are out of the trash-the-furniture stage before I replace them with something that isn't blue.

At any rate, I'll attach a couple pictures so you can get the idea. I'd appreciate any opinions as to what to do with the ceiling and fireplace wall, since I need to make a decision quickly! Thanks!

Comments (36)