SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Making do, wwyd? (long,sorry)

crl_
11 years ago

We are buying a house that needs some work. Master bath comes first due to a leak. So the kitchen will have to wait until our cash reserves are built back up. I am estimating we will end up living in the house for a year and a half or two years before we remodel. We have two kids. The kitchen currently lacks any functioning appliances and has orginal 1920s cabinets (still has the original ice box with a hatch to the outside for ice delivery!).

So, no dishwasher at all. The cabinets are a tiny bit short of standard depth, but I am pretty sure we could fit a Bosch in there. Would need to hire a carpenter to doctor the cabinets.

No refrigerator at all. The spot for a refrigerator is shorter than any refrigerator we would ultimately like to have. We could buy a $400 or so refrigerator and replace it when we remodel or we could again have a carpenter doctor the existing cabinet--likely just take down the whole thing above this spot--and guess a bit on which size refrigerator we want in the end.

The existing range is a very old electric unit with a secondary oven/vent on top. The main oven is not working. We could see about getting this repaired. Or we could replace with an inexpensive electric oven and vent. Or we could have gas brought to the spot (if it isn't already there) and buy a range we would intend to keep. This spot may or may not be where the range ultimately ends up. There is definitely gas very close by though as the hot water heater is on the other side of that wall about two feet away.

I really can't decide how to approach all of this. Part of me wants to lay out the smallest possible amount of money for now and try to preserve as much flexibility as possible for the remodel down the road (so fix the range, skip the dishwasher, buy the cheap frig) and part of me feels like that is being penny wise and pound foolish (so we should go ahead and buy the good appliances and make them fit into the kitchen for now and reuse them when we remodel).

What would you do and why? Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments (20)