How do I deal with my step-father? (long, sorry)
20 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (36)
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
How would handle this? Very long - sorry.
Comments (33)Ok, portrait aside...I think there is a bigger problem. Why are you calling all the shots? Have you asked your siblings if they even want to be in the picture and what they think about who should be in it and what you are doing? Get on the phone and ask them... I would never just arrange to have a pic with me and my siblings without going over with them who would be in it, etc. I think it's the fact that you appear to be controlling everything and everyone that may be the real problem. "Your plan" really doesn't matter if it brings heartache to any one family, marriage or wife. It really doesn't matter how many photos you've gone through or how much better or easier the pic would look with just you six. If you are hurting someone, you need to rethink your options. And I gotta tell you from a traditional etiquette standpoint, not including spouses can be kind of harsh... they are either considered part of the family or they are not. I think it's naive to think you're not gonna ruffle some feathers. Although your idea may be best...you didn't allow others who should have had a say in it, vote, so now not only is it not the best idea but hardly anyone will be happy with it. Back to the drawing board......See Morewhat to do with troublesome family members (sorry, very long)
Comments (7)My problem is not about marriage! Mine is about my eldest, who loves to degrade me, talk about me to her friends, get them to believe she knows me SO WELL, that whatever she says about me is absolutely the truth! She will tell me, she is JUST TRYING TO HELP ME,that I have problems, that no one knows about but her, then she blasted me on an internet page, (not in private) but so E1 could read it, about something I did 2 mos ago and saying the current incident is THE SAME thing but that she stood up for me anyway, when another family member I now live with said I lied,(which I didn't). Anyway,twice, she had asked me to live with her, to help me financially, after becoming disabled and was struggling but both times, it was a disaster, and of course,(I got the blame) even though I stay to myself, respect others in the home,tried not to get work dumped on me. But both times I got accused of not doing ANY of that! And of course,also, SHE IS ALWAYS RIGHT! If I would have my own opinion on ANYTHING...she would correct me, telling me and others how WRONG I am! We have mutual friends and I think she is also jealous of that! One of my other daughters has told her to stay away from her and her family, that she was no longer welcome in their home because she related her husband to someone else, that he is totally not like at all. A mutual friend on an internet site, doesn't talk to her anymore, and I recently asked her why that was, and she said she HONESTLY didn't know, she just quit talking to her? I just read the post on: "TOXIC Relationships"! And believe me, most of it has been going on for about 3 plus yrs. between us. I have stopped talking to her in the past, due to this behavior toward me but if she approached me and apologized,(which isn't often but she will do it, if there's a benefit in it somewhere)...or so it seems?...I have given her the benefit of the doubt and we have started hanging out again! It's funny how the very things she accuses me of, she does herself but somehow, the WAY she does it, is still better than me! I just moved out the last time at the end of Feb 11 and moved in with another fam. member because I had no where to go. She didn't ask me to move out but it wasn't pleasant, so decided it was best for me! (all involved)!I think she's jealous as I said about a mutual friend because I had asked her to go places with me without my daughter and so? Her and I get along! my daughter has told me to SHUT UP in public and embarrased me, and our friend said "respect her, that's your Mom". And she'd say, "I'm just playing"! For some reason she had gotten into this bad habit of saying this and even has said it to her husband making him mad too! However, she has gotten over that mostly! Her and her husband had their own problems and needed help, that's ok but now that they are, she advises others, as though she's all fixed and can/should tell others their problems and "learn from this" is what she likes to say now! I have made my mistakes ,I'm human but when I did said I wouldn't do it again and didn't but this last thing she decided to advise me on was similiar but not exactly the same thing happened but she isn't SAYING it but doesn't believe me about it! And when I told her she was wrong about it and me, she just kept going on and on about it and I asked her to quit, that I can kick my own butt all by myself. That I already felt bad about the situation and her rubbing it in wasn't helping!BUT she just kept on, so I said what I had to say and decided it was best to not talk to her and had to delete her off my internet page so I don't get her messages! It's too tempting for me to reply and I just don't need her "helpful" advise or hurtful words! I have felt like crap over all this happening! This is my eldest daughter! I've asked her to respect me, even if she didn't like things I DO! I don't go out of my way to say hurtful things to her! But even in common talk, she will begin YELLING..just to say something like she's anticipating a neg. reply before I speak, so I am already on the defense myself and YELL back! It is utterly ridiculous! ANd I have never liked it! But I can't get her to see her part in it! Even her best friend said,I dont argue with her, cause she has always GOT TO BE RIGHT! And her room mate that lives with them asked me a couple of times,"Why do you argue with her, just ignore her, smile and say BLESS YOUR HEART"!(but she either tells her off or kisses her rear end) and my daug. makes extra money off her for staying there? Well back then, I didn't realize the arguing is what she wanted to prove her point as to why she is always right! But if you tell her that, she will say "No she doesn't need to be"! SO, once again, I am having to just stay away from her,& not talk to her! It feels awful! But if I say look Im done, I can't take this anymore, you won't quit, she will say, "why do you treat me so mean"? "I do everything for everyone and this is how I get treated by everybody"! Gee, I don't know..hmmm!So here I am, on the net, looking up this problem to see, if I am wrong! But from what I've read, it is on her! Her own LOW SELF-ESTEEM, and she needs to do this! OMG, this is heart-breaking to me! She had me convinced for so long, that I was just a terrible Mother and making all these mistakes. Not when she was young, she had the utmost RESPECT for me! But as an adult, she has turned against me! And I honetly don't know why! She once said, she just didnt trust ANYONE anymore after her 2nd husband molested her kids!(13 yrs.ago and lots of counciling). That is where she lost trust! I can understand that but why me? I didn't do those things! Sorry this is so long but it DOES help to get it out! Without burdening my friends and family of hearing it ALL AGAIN! AND she doesn't WANT anyone TO THINK ANY OF IT IS HER FAULT! Never, ever,NEVER!!!! SO, I guess I do just have to stay completely away!?? That is so sad!She can seem so very caring and giving but I tell you, it will benefit her in the end! I did the best I could with what I knew raising my children, I have 4. 3 girls and one son! And the others don't treat me like this! And I'm not sure she treats them anywhere near how she does me! I don't hear all their conversations! Other than the other oldest(my 2nd) telling her to stay away since Thanksgivng I think? Or just around Christmas! By the way, she is 42, not a child! Anyway, thank you for letting me vent! Don't know if anyone has any comments or has had this kind of problem but it would be nice to hear whatever will help!? Thanks... CS...See MoreI have a question for everyone to ponder - sorry so long
Comments (7)I kind of have a different take on this post. Alot of parents raise their kids to be their whole life. They throw themselves into their children so much that sometimes the children end up becoming the more dominate personality. These parents have no interests of their own and probably don't even know what to do with themselves when their children aren't there. This happens a lot with children of divorce because of a competition element that presents itself, or maybe even because one or both of the parents are emotionally messed up and the child(ren) feel they have to protect their parent(s). Here are two examples: #1 - A very dear friend of mine who's son and my son are very close friends. She still sleeps in the same bed with her 9-1/2 y/o and her 7 y/o. Almost every night they guilt her into sleeping with them. She hasn't slept in the same bed with her husband in almost 10 years! If DS wants to sleep over with her DS, they have to do it over there because my friend doesn't allow sleepovers away from their home. I had a party for DS and she insisted on sleeping over with him. That wasn't a problem. The problem was that because she always has her kids with her, I HAD to include her daughter in this all-boy birthday party and sleepover. It is my opinion that she uses her kids as a sheild so she doesn't have to deal with her very real marriage issues (alcoholism, infidelity, extreme debt, and more). #2 - My sister. My niece is accustumed to having access to everything and everybody. If there is a closed door in the house, like say I went to the restroom, she will bang on it until I come out or open the door. Not that she wants what is on the other side of the door. She just wants to have access whenever she wants. If she doesn't get her way, she will scream bloody murder until my sister thinks she's having an asthma attack (never even been diagnosed with asthma) and picks her up and cuddles her until it's over. It's very plain to see who has the more dominate personality. So when these children grow up, roles tend to be reversed. The children EXPECT the parents to answer to them and the parents feel obligated to inform the children of everything. I see this in real life with my brother-in-law. His mother informs him of EVERYTHING and he is in the Navy living 1,000 miles away with a family of his own. My BIL, on the other hand, gets mad if he finds out the tiniest little thing that happens and she didn't tell him. If this is the dynamic of a family, anyone who marries into it should work within the dynamic and then raise their own children differently, if they so choose. It's like playing two ballgames at once. It will be hard, but that's why the poster on the birthday thread is having such a hard time. In my own relationship with my parents, we are not like that. My mom had emergency surgery to remove her gall bladder and no one told me until my aunt called from Arizona to tell me. I was a little miffed, seeing as it was and emergency procedure with the risk pof infection, but still it is THEIR business and does not effect me in any way. I am the only relative living anywhere close to them and all I expect is to be informed if I need to help in any way (feed animals, pick up mail, watch house) or if it's life-threatening (my father's heartattack in May of last year when my mom was 2 hours away and I was 20 minutes away). To me, they are adults and they deserve to make their own decisions independent of me, just as I expect of them....See MoreI'm the mean step father
Comments (5)Why do you feel the need to justify your position?? Are any of us perfect?? Least of all ourselves?? Hate to let you in on this little surprise. BUT... You aren't perfect. Your wife isn't perfect. Neither are ANY of your sons/stepsons. The boy is still a child -- may be in the body of a man, but still growing to be a man. Since you've raised 3 boys you already know this, right? Of course, HE doesn't think this way at all. He's already a man, so HE thinks. Regardless of his apparent immaturity and seeming unwillingness to contribute to the household, the truth is... he has HIS own experience and that is NO LESS than any of our own. He is his OWN human being full of joy, wonder, and certainly deficiencies. Because of that and the fact that we are parents it is SO easy for all of us to focus on the negative. Sometimes that is ALL we ever focus on. It is part of our job to guide our children and as they get older -- our guidance begins to have less and less effect -- you already know this too I'm sure. But sometimes it's like we get tunnel vision and can't see how lovely forest is overall for all the poison ivy in the trees. Or in the Mom's case, she still sees her wonderful, sweet little toddler and remembers all the horrible things that happened in her past that her sweet child saw, gets consumed by her guilt and lets the guidance part slide. (As a bio-Mom, I do this too and it does aggravate the situation especially in the long run -- I fully admit this). I think, from what you've said and what Mom has said, you BOTH really are on the same wavelength here. You each have your own slant and your own justifications BUT you still agree something isn't quite right. You BOTH feel the child has some room for improvement. And why not? What child doesn't? Because he is older the trick is how to EMPOWER THE CHILD to feel the need to contribute. So... I think that you and Mom somehow/someway need to come up with positive ways to encourage this child to contribute to the household. Either monetarily or through chores or both or something. Mom will hold more sway over the son simply because of the bond so she must TOTALLY embrace the ideas you BOTH come up with. When children contribute it does build self-esteem and a positive self image and when children hear OVER AND OVER again what a good job they have done and what a wonderful member of the household they are, it only naturally carries over to their confidence and helps them move into society (and out of the house) only that much MORE quickly. So maybe my theory might work for you and bio-Mom, first require contribution (you both have that right it IS YOUR house and if he doesn't want to, he can move out) then notice what this child does right, notice it LOUD, notice it OFTEN. Make big deals out of it. Do this consistently and I'll bet that the situation improves. Your own household will benefit greatly from a higher focus on the positive instead of the negative. After all, we all love REAL praise don't we? We are just human. Q...See More- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 12 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 12 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 12 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 12 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 9 years ago
- last yearlast modified: last year
Related Stories

LIFEThe Polite House: How to Deal With Noisy Neighbors
Before you fly off the handle, stop and think about the situation, and follow these steps to live in harmony
Full Story
LIFEA Therapist’s Guide to Dealing With Conflict at Home
Piles of laundry and dirty dishes are a part of cohabitating. Here’s how to accept it and move forward
Full Story
PETSDealing With Pet Messes: An Animal Lover's Story
Cat and dog hair, tracked-in mud, scratched floors ... see how one pet guardian learned to cope and to focus on the love
Full Story
HOLIDAYSFather's Day Extravaganza! 19 Glorious Man Spaces by Houzzers
Guitars, beer, games and sports memorabilia fill these unabashedly masculine rooms for men of all ages and tastes
Full Story
FRANK LLOYD WRIGHTStep Inside a Frank Lloyd Wright House Saved From Demolition
The historic Phoenix property is now part of the architect’s school at Taliesin, where it will be used as a design lab
Full Story
Houzz Tour: A House Built for the Long Term
The designers of this one-of-a-kind home made the most of its challenging location to deliver enduring comfort and style
Full Story
LIFE10 Smart Ways to Deal With Summer Gear
Start fall with a clean slate by organizing, repairing and storing summertime essentials the right way
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMEWhat's the Deal With Radon?
Get the facts on testing for this cancer-causing gas — and how to make your home safe if it shows up
Full Story
APARTMENTSHouzz Tour: Sweetening the Penthouse Deal
With a newly dramatic interior design — including a sexy lounge — this Portland home is now living up to its potential
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESSeal the Deal With Fiber Cement Siding
Chameleon-like, durable and low maintenance, fiber cement gives home exteriors of all shapes and styles a winning edge
Full Story
brass_tacks