SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanny98

My post for the day (long! sorry)

nanny98
12 years ago

I have been trying to put some perspective on the idea of passing laws to exempt "seniors" from paying taxes for educating our young. I am 75, and I believe I have lived "in the best of times". No other generation has had the benefits that I had. My family was not/is not wealthy. We raised a family without ANY inheritance or land....just the opportunity to better ourselves by taking advantage of the education we received and being in this place, at this time. No one promised us a rose garden....we made our own. Remember,the generation that followed WWII up to the 21st century. have had more than any generation before or that will follow us.

I thank, every day, the younger folks who pay my Social Security Check. I remember my grandmother in 1942-3-4-5 writing letters to my family on the West Coast, begging for just a little money to pay for food for herself. She lived her life using an out house, and pumping well water to her sink in her kitchen. She trusted GOD to provide and it was a very meager existence. No books, no tv, no transportation; only a church to walk to and a belief in the goodness of her fellow man. And her Bible. She died in 1960 and knew no other life altho her last years were in a nursing home.

My point is....that is where I could be today, if not for our government being sure that we do not end out years like that. It was only 20 years ago that we were able to buy a house and think about saving money for retirement and that was only because of a career change that worked out well. That does not always happen. As a country, we need to make sure that we provide the opportunity for those behind us to be educated...to make improvements in our world...to build things and accomplish great and wonderful things. Do we want the younger generation to be unemployed, unemployable, uneducated, without motivation and the ability to earn a living and support their own children....and grandparents via Social Security every month instead of begging.

The Children being educated today, 12 and 13 years old....in 10 years they will be contributing to many things that make a difference in the lives of those 'seniors' who feel they are being pinched by the economy. I think struggling middle class (now lower middle class) families are really the ones that are being pinched and many of the problems school districts are dealing with are related to the stresses that families are dealing with.

The Economy. DD is still living with us due to this economy...another child (also DD) really struggling to keep up with it all. NO One....only the rich....is not just keeping their heads above water.

It will get better, I believe that. (and then, I almost delete it)

Comments (6)