SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thch91

Bin Ready, worms put in. need advice, sorry very long post

thch91
15 years ago

I'm sorry to keep bothering ya'll. I went into my local library today and tried to find reading material and the book "worms eat my garbage" and alas, nothing. I live in a town with less than 1000 people. I went into my local ASCS Extension office and they gave me a computer printout that I pretty much already had. I went into my nearest big town yesterday and checked at books a million for the book. No luck there either. I came home and ordered it. I won't have it for about 2 weeks. I am afraid that I have done something to harm my worms. Would someone let me know if this is ok? I put LARGE layer shredded paper in bottom, not wet, then I put a layer of cabbage, (A little more than half a head) out of the back of my fridge. It had gotten too cold and froze. I then put another layer of newspaper. I wet this all down with distilled water. I went into Gander Mountain, I seen this product that said it was bedding and food all in one called Fabrill.. I bought a small package of that. It said on the package to mix with distilled water and wring it out. I did this and put in on top of the bin. I then added the worms and small amount of dirt that I didn't seperate. I then put more wet shredded paper on top. I also in the cabbage layer put some grape tomatos, tiny carrots, and snow peas. My bin reeks of the cabbage when I open the lid, however when the lid is closed I don't notice an odor. I have all together around 500 worms in the 18 gallon rubbermaid totebox. I'm sorry this was so long. Just wanted to make sure this was ok and if I should do anything different. When should I feed again? How often will I be able to look in on them? I am VERY EXCITED about my worms and making myself leave them alone.. My hubby teasing me that I will have to come up with 500 names for my "pets".. lol I would like to know if anyone puts dryer lint in? The tv program I seen showed a pair of jeans put into the bins.. I use bounce in the dryer too.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me..

Tammy

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert