SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vernonia_gw

worm observations, and bin questions...LONG post

Vernonia
18 years ago

Today I moved my little garden worms from their 2 liter bottle into a milk jug. I counted them and must say... I GROSSLY underestimated the original number. there were 63 today. It has been 3 1/2 weeks from the original collection, and I only noticed 2 casualties during the assessment. The cornmeal and coffee grounds were about half processed... I doubt they could have been recognized by anyone who did not know what they were. now for questions...

I noticed a swollen area on 2 worms. About halfway between the clitellum and the head. I know what this area is for...But I have never seen it swollen... did I interrupt mating? Or is it forming eggs in there? Or just stored up semen? Sorry to be graphic, but I just was wondering if I interrupted, or am I gonna get some babies soon?

Can-o-worms... reading past posts, I am considering a stack of Rubbermaid type bins, set up ALA can-o-worms. Simply because I have an illness that causes intense distress when removing money from my pocket, and because I think I might need something bigger :)

So I am wondering... what is to stop the worms in either system from getting discontent and coming out the sides where the bottom of one bin/tray comes in contact with the soil in the tray below it? I mean there is about a 1-2 inch gap that they could freely escape from. anyone have any answers/experience to share on this front? *imagining DH finding escapees in the laundry room and flinging the entire setup off the back porch*

Also How fast can one of those systems work? Can they handle 1 gallon of food a day? How many trays would we be talking about here? I just do not want the wormies to get too cramped in their homes... I know they can reproduce to meet the demand, but I don't know how big a home they need for all that. and BTW...how many worms are we talking? *adding up the stale Cheerios on the floor, the bread crusts, leftover corn, potatoes, rice, coffee grounds, banana peels, half eaten apples/cores, etc... wonder if they can eat macaroni and cheese?*

Also... what role do potato bugs (AKA pill bugs, sow bugs, ants in shining armor) play? Do they compete with the worms? Are they symbiotic? are they just neighbors? Do they go bowling together? we have a preponderance of both outside, and I wondered :)

Does vermicomposting present with any offensive and/or strong odors? I have a few in the house who are sensitive to this. I know my 2 liter smelled a little, but it has a very low margin of error, and was a little on the wet side. What can I typically expect?

Thanks for reading all my ramblings, and thanks for your experience and opinions :) happy worming :)

Comments (25)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals