SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_2_5

needed to vent (really long) sorry :(

mom_of_2.5
15 years ago

I need to vent all the things that are eating at me. I am acutely aware I sound like a child hating monster when I say these things. I am normally a very loving and patient mommy. The custody arrangement for the summer is taking it's toll on me and as the summer is nearing an end I am nearing the end of my rope. Please forgive me for sounding like a hate filled monster.

My step son is calculating and manipulative. He absolutely knows what hes doing when he does it. His face is like a reader board. Almost everything he does is purely with the purpose of creating conflict in this home. I used to take it very personal that he does the things to get to me, but it's not just me-- he's extremely happy to get his Dad bent out of shape too.

I used to react, and when I noticed the pleasure he got from that (really, his face is like a reader board) I stopped. Well, I have no one else to vent to. My closest grlfriend thinks I over react and all kids do this. She has 18 months experience as a mother and zero in a step family so she's not my best sounding board. Of course venting to my husband about his son creates problems beteen us, so here I am. Typing all the things that are tickin me off about my so called family.

I'm confused by hearing and reading that we expect more of step kids. In my house, the SS has far fewer expectations because "he's only here every other weekend" and all summer long for the last four years--how long does it take to learn simple rules? They don't change.

I expect my children to

a) be respectful to others -- this includes each other

b) ask permission to leave the house - If I'm responsible I need a general idea where the are, riding bikes, down at the school, whatever, I hardly ever say no, just need to know where they are in case of emergency.

c) use appropriate language.

d) be kind to others -- they don't have to skip and hold hands all day, but I will not tolerate any of them being mean/cruel to each other.

e) If you make a mess, pick it up. There is no maid here and the less time I spend cleaning, the more time we have for fun stuff. Particular rule on laundry is I don't go looking for things to do, if it makes it to the laundry room I'm happy to wash, fold and deliver back to your room. If it doesn't make it to the laundry room, it doesn't get washed.

And I wouldn't call this a rule so much as a pet peeve but limiting waste in important to me for our budget, for the envirornment, it's just a good idea.

So, that preface made, How horrible an ogre am I that I am driven crazy by my SS who hit my son in the face "to get a fuzzy off his nose" Then antagonizes him calling him a cry baby? (that blew his accident defense or he would have apologized instead of the cry baby comment right?)

He stole my daughters DS game, took it home and told his mom my daughter gave it to him. When he returned two weeks later with a new game (coincidently one she's missing) He told us his mom bought it for him at Kmart. (red flag since there's no Kmart near her home-that was how he got busted on that one)

My mom came over last Friday and he waited for me to leave the room (maybe 30 min into her visit) to ask her "not to be rude, but did you get me a birthday present or did you forget?" HE KNEW IT WAS RUDE or he wouldn't have waited for me to leave and wouldn't start off saying, not to be rude...that just opens a different can of worms and resentment as my mom gives him gifts while my husbands family doesn't acknowledge my childrens birthdays. Well, last year my daughter got a card becasue her Bday is really close to his, but my son who is 6 weeks prior got nothing. This year neither got anything-much better.

I know this is petty but SS is an extremely picky eater. Really, I think it's his way of having control because he can't even remember which foods he claims to like or not like So after he threw away Fridays dinner, Sat breakfast, and lunch when he claimed to be full at Sat dinner with one bite missing his dad said okay but we'll put it in the fridge and you'll finish it tomorrow. 20 minutes later he whispers to daddy for dessert and my husband made him an ice cream sundae! BTW, Tuesday now and his dinner is still in foil in the fridge. Last night he got asked if he'd like to eat that or have the dinner the other kids were having.

So I am also aware that all these issues are not only my SS, but HUGELY in how my Husband handles things....Because I asked if he finished his dinner when I saw the sundae my Husband actually got mad at me! This created a huge fight because I let my son have popcorn and he threw away his bun (ate the dog, tossed the bun) I have different standards. Well, my son didn't throw away his last three meals and didn't claim to be full he didn't like the bun. OMG I know how petty it is Ive even spent this amount of time typing such trivial issues!

I can't believe my husband wanted to fight with me over the Sundae. He is always comparing kids, I think that's really unfair because yes, mine act up, but not daily and I discpline my kids! And my kids love and respect him.

I have to give my husband a little credit, since these issues have threatened our marriage he has done more parenting in the last week than he has in a year. I try to make it a point to notice and thank him for addressing things instead of walking away shakng his head. I know it is going to take time. I know we need counseliing and the appointments are made. But today, I woke up with a headache afraid of what it will be today.

He makes little things HUGE things, and carries on and on not knowing when to just stop talking. He blames anyone he can for all that he does, managing him and building our day around his behavior is exhausting. I'm so tired and I can't wait for school to start and him to return to his mom's full time and here eow.

If you read this far you're amazing. Again, I'm sorry. I feel childish and embarassed but it is how I feel and unfortunately don't have anyone else to vent it to who MIGHT understand.

Comments (11)