SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodel_mama

soffit/moulding/trim - not sure what to do

remodel-mama
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone out there has experience with this issue.

We will be installing 42" upper cabinets (inset, off-white) in our new kitchen. Installation will begin in 2-3 weeks!

We ordered a 3" cove moulding to match the cabinets - this brings the total height of the cabinets to 93". The ceilings are 9' (108") and we have to have a soffit. That leaves 15" to play with above the cabinets. Here is a picture of the kitchen:

Or course, when we ordered the cabinets, we didn't think about how the trim would work with the moulding/soffit...

The house was built in 1912 (Edwardian style) and we were hoping to replicate the trim that is used in the other rooms on the main level. It's a 3-piece trim and is about 13.5" high. It is made up of:

crown moulding at the top (3")

flat board (8")

picture rail (2.5")

Here is a picture of the trim:

a href="http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/ab296/remodel-mama/?action=view¤t=trim.jpg"; target="_blank">

So... the options seem to be:

1) Do a modified (smaller) version of the original trim. For example, make the flat board 5" (instead of the original 8"), which would make the 3-piece trim 10.5" high (instead of 13.5"). This would leave only 4.5" of wall/ soffit. We are planning to paint the walls (what little of them in the kitchen) BM Salsa Dancing (a sort of burnt sienna color) to match the adjoing dining room. I am afraid that if the space between the crown moulding on the top of the cabinets and the trim is only 4.5" inches tall that it might look like a (red) racing stripe between the white cabinets and white trim.

2) Forget the 3-piece original trim and just do a simple crown moulding (maybe 3-4") around the perimeter. This would leave 11-12" of color between the top of the cabinets and the moulding.

Hope this is all making sense. Please let me know what you think and/or if you have any suggestions!

Thank you!

Comments (4)