SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sblake_gw

Pretty sure we have mold, what to do and who to call?

sblake
18 years ago

We have been in our house for a year now. It is 35 years old. It is brick exterior. When we moved in, we discovered that the laundry room floor was rotten right under the pipes. The previous owners washing machine leaked. Well, ended up just putting down some plywood for the time being so we could put our W/D in there, because we were eventually going to replace all the flooring and would just do it all at one time. Well, we didn't realize, but the pipe had been leaking in the wall for a while, even with our W/D. We got the leak fixed and everything is fine. Then, last week, the weather got warm, and we noticed a moldy smell in our babies room. We had been running a Humidifier in there, so we took that out, and aired out the room really well, and that seemed to fix that problem.

But, then the laundry room started smelling.. BAD. It smells like mold. There is no sign of it though. Nothing growing on the walls or ceiling. The smell has now permeated through our entire downstairs.

Another problem I have noticed is upstairs on the front side of the house.. I saw condensation on the hardwood floors underneath the windows. The windows had not leaked, and it had not been raining. Where could this water have come from?

My question is.. What do we do now. Obviously, we have to rip out the subfloor in the laundry room.. Who do we call to fix the mold and the odor? Our house has always smelled musty, but I just figured it was because it's an old house..

Thanks,

Sara

Comments (5)