SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lam702

soffits and moulding issue

lam702
10 years ago

OK, we are doing a cabinet refacing project and here is the issue - We have a soffit above our cabinets, which I know is not the style today but it doesn't bother me. We didn't want to remove it, because of the electrical wiring behind it. The soffit is about 12" tall, and attaches to the face of the cabinet frames, with only about a 1/4" overlap. There was a narrow moulding mounted on the overlap, covering about 1/2" of the top of the face frames. We tore it off, to get ready for the job and ordered new moulding, also a narrow 1" style, so we could install it the same way. When we received all our materials, I realized that I mistakenly ordered the wrong style crown moulding. I actually like this one much better than the one I meant to order (maybe subconsciously screwed it up on purpose?) But, this moulding is larger, about 2" wide. Now I am not sure how to mount that, I think its too wide to mount it this way, and I am not sure how to do it without tearing out the soffit and mounting it on top edge of the frame. I really don't want the hassle of dealing with the electrical wiring, I would like to find a way to mount this moulding on the front of the frames/soffits if possible. But, the current cabinets have no supporting framework behind the lower edge of the soffit, only the 1/4 overlap. I can't mount the moulding any lower on the frames because of the cabinet doors. Is there anything I can do to make it work?

Comment (1)