SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
datura_07

Should we take out the soffits? then add molding?

datura-07
14 years ago

We took out the island and made it larger and I want to add the desk that was in my sewing room on the outside wall. I'm into recipes on the computer rather than spending hours looking thru tons of printed recipes so I'd like my computer at the desk rather than having it on the island. For some reason we made the desk to match the kitchen rather than the sewing room cabnets, I guess because you can see it when you sit at the island. It's ending up to be a good thing. The desk has an upper cabnet that goes all the way to the ceiling. Why?? I don't remember 27 years ago.

The upper cabnets were installed 2 inches lower than they should have been - coffee maker doesn't fit under and they get in the way all the time. I want to take out the soffits and raise them 2 inches. I'd like to raise the corner unit 4 inches.

At first my husband said no but now he said he would do it but my 30 year old son who will be doing most of the work said NO. TWO against one!!!!

Would it look ok??? and then should we put crown molding up. We added a 4inch molding in our son's apartment (off the house)but his cabnets are cherry and a different style. Some day we will trade living arrangements and we can be FREE of work around here.

We stopped at the lumber yard last week and they have a two inch oak molding. Or should we just use something 1 inch?

Have no idea what to use. Need to decide or the guys will say - You waited too long - live with it!!

One other thing - I'm can't post pictures. Is there anyone that would post them for me if I e-mailed them to you.

Thanks soooooooo much for any help you can give me.

Sandy

Comments (3)