SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sserra85

On the subject of dark powder rooms...

sserra85
11 years ago

You all have been so helpful throughout my ongoing home renovation. I'm still working though all the other rooms, but my one "done" room feels like it's lacking.

I've read lots of posts and seen plenty of inspiration photos of dark powder rooms, and I do think that going darker would make the white "pop". I worry that all the inspiration photos are just that, fancy cameras taking fancy pictures that make the rooms look brighter than they really are,

Do you think that I should add some drama and go dark in this room? Or is the light, airy look more appropriate? If I go dark, should I be looking at certain color families? I have some paint swatches in navy that I love, but they seem to clash with the slight green undertone of the calcatta mosaic and countertop.

Last question: you can see the outside edge of the window. See how high it is? How on earth do I treat this window?

Comments (30)

• sis3
    11 years ago

I have a very dark powder room with blue paint that is almost black. I posted photos on the other dark paint thread. This is just my opinion, but I prefer to work with what is there rather than fight it. So in my case I played up the small, dark, windowless powder room with very dark paint and dramatic lighting. Your room looks enviably light and lovely. Personally I would play up that lightness. It looks as though it may just need some more accessories to be totally gorgeous.

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

I can only give you my own personal experience. I recently had our full guest bath/downstairs hall powder room (2 separate entrance doors into the room) painted in a light bluish aqua. It perfectly matches a color in my Pottery Barn bedspread and pillow accessories in the adjoining guest room (PBarn Smoke Blue). There are also navy accents in the guest room and with all the white in the bathroom I really wanted to paint the bath BM Hale Navy, in fact I mentioned it here on GW. I got talked out of Hale Navy by the BM color consultant. She said dark colors in bathrooms were totally out of fashion. I explained I had previously had dark red in that bath and loved how it popped against the white, but she talked me out of a navy saying light spa colors were now in style. My fault for not following my heart, not hers!

The soft and light blue aqua is pretty, but I have regretted not using Hale Navy ever since. Go with your own instincts and don't be a weenie like I was!!

• Related Discussions

Dark red powder room worth the risk or a mistake

Q

Comments (49)
    The mirror and sink are beautiful. I had a deep red windowless powder room for years. It looked really dramatic and photographed well. However, the red made it pretty uncomfortable to actually be in the room. It made a small room feel even smaller than it was. The color wasn't flattering to anyone checking their appearance in the mirror, and as L said, that's important in a powder room! The biggest issue for me was that there is no heat register in my powder room and it's usually chilly -sometimes it's freezing. I found it really disconcerting to be in a red room that was cold. It was such an unsettling contrast. If you stick with the red, do make sure to use adequate lighting, the large art to counter that closed-in feeling, and be sure it's warm in there. :)
    ...See More

Dark powder room

Q

Comments (6)
    After looking you the colors you mentioned I like them both and think they would work. I have BM Caponata in my laundry room and really like it. I would get samples of both to test them in the lighting with your other elements. It going to depend on how dark everything reads when it's all in the room together with your lighting. One of your colors is lighter and the other darker. Though nice and moody I'd still want to make sure there's a little contrast. Whatever artwork you use I'd consider repeating the gold from the vanity top with the frames or even within the actual artwork.
    ...See More

Paint colors for small powder room with chair rail and dark wallpaper

Q

Comments (11)
    what is the flooring going to be? with this wallpaper, I hope you're doing a gold or rose gold finish on the hardware/faucet and lighting. So, you can paper the upper half and do a wainscot below. use white or a dark blue this color and other items in this room would be the perfect match w/that paper with doing the top half and lower paint, you'd be shooting for this type of look I would do an actual wainscot and not just a chair rail. that paper deserves it. or the white or just do one entire wall
    ...See More

dark and dramatic powder room?

Q

Comments (5)
    love the idea of dark on the top portion. even the ceiling. do something dramatic w/color, or print, or sconces, etc. could be a dynamite little PR! sure wish you had gotten a console vanity instead of that dark one though. then you could have something like this (but with your white wainscot) here's a dark blue w/your white some other ideas. you could always paint the other walls and go bold on the wall w/tile behind the vanity. mirrored subway tiles. these come in many diff sizes, mirror finishes (doing these in a antique mirror tile would play up the gray and nickel tones you have). here's your dark upper wall. notice how they did the ceiling. love this. not really hip on the starburst mirror, but the wall stencil is cute. or you could do wallpaper. this paper would look nice w/your wainscot
    ...See More
  • lynxe
    11 years ago

I wouldn't go darker than the darkest green wall tile. However, I don't think you have to go dark; instead, what about dark accents, like towels, curtains, rug, art, etc.? That would probably give you the effect you want. Frankly, and this is my opinion only, too much pale and too much neutral isn't interesting, so I think darker green accessories in your powder room would be lovely. I wouldn't be surprised if relatively few people agree with me on that suggestion - I'm usually posting anti-neutral (which, to me, equates to anti-color) comments pretty regularly! Whether what I say is good advice though....

patty, we have a windowless bathroom that needs doing, and the current plan is to match, as closely as possible, a dark blue-green shade in two pieces of art on the room's walls. I wouldn't give a fig if some color consultant were to inform me that that isn't "in"!

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

LOL, lynxe. That's what has me so mad at myself. I can't believe I got intimidated because I always just go with my instincts and trust myself. This is the first time I've ever done this. I have dark blue-green in my kitchen and breakfast room, previously had the dark red in the bathroom until I changed the guest room bedding, have navy and white toile wallpaper in the dining room and hall right next to the bathroom and don't even like light blue. The bathroom color is pretty, just not me! This is the first time I haven't trusted myself decorating!

• madisonkd
    11 years ago

I think a dark charcoal gray would be beautiful in this room!!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I agree with Sis3 about working with what you have rather than against it. I have a dark powder room, but that's because there are no windows in it so it was already dark. I just emphasized the darkness rather than trying to fight it. You have a wonderful window and lots of light, so I would embrace that. As for a window treatment, I would probably do an inside mount shade of some sort because I don't like fussy window treatments in bathrooms. However, your style may take you in a different direction.

• sserra85
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions so far. While I normally gravitate towards neutral, light, and airy, I do feel like this room is rather bland. Green is not my favorite color and it was somewhat of a mistake, so I find myself trying to downplay it. Hence the navy idea even though it clashes.

The tile and console are high end and I don't think they are living up to their worth. Thats the driving force behind all my doubt. The room, for me, is hard to accessorize since its such a small space. I do have a mirror now but it's a bit generic, so I find myself longing something more...

• anitamo
    11 years ago

Ooooh, I agree with madison. A dark charcoal gray would look great. The fixtures are beautiful.

• sis2two
    11 years ago

I love the way the room looks now. It is beautifully serene and I love the wall color with the tile and the marble.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I would love the room as it is -- but finished with a pretty mirror and a few more details, but I do think you could go darker. I'm not sure I would go to a charcoal or navy though. It looks like your floor has the same mosaic as the accent on the wall. If that is the whole floor, not just a border, I would be concerned that a dark color would accentuate the mosaic and could make it very busy. I think a mid-tone taupe/grey would have been my starting point. The bm willow creek, eagle rock and stone that I was recently looking at come to mind. But what you have is lovely. Really. It just doesn't look "done."

IMO, you just need a mirror or art -- mayeb one of each on the wall over the sink and toilet. I don't see any towels, as we can't really see that window.

About the window, we can't see enough to really offer suggestions. Do you need privacy? Do you want to maintain some view? Do you need light control or want to make the most of what you can get? What kind of window is it, how large is it, does it open, etc.?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Oh, please don't repaint...it is so lovely as it is now...there's something so rich and elegant about a monochromatic scheme, and I love that it's so light and bright. I went dark in my PR, but it was because it was already an interior space.

I think I would just add some wall art and some accessories....all in those light subtle tones to stick with the scheme, but add a touch of warmth....

just beautiful.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I would never have guessed that is a green wall color (based on my monitor) but I do agree it's not the best color for your tile & pedestal. I love the room as is and would only change the walls to one of the gray colors of the marble.
    Just can't picture really dark colors in that PR.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

"Green is not my favorite color and it was somewhat of a mistake, so I find myself trying to downplay it. Hence the navy idea even though it clashes."

It's one of my less-favorite colors, too. Unfortunately, it might be the best color for our kitchen.
    "The tile and console are high end and I don't think they are living up to their worth."

I could tell easily that they are high end. I think you might be underestimating the impact of some really nice towels hung below the sink on that bar, a mirror (which I hadn't noticed was missing) and/or art.

It's a very good space even as it is - I think. I don't think a dark color, like navy, will make the floor tiles seem too busy. However, and this opinion merely reflects my personal taste, I think you do have enough different colors in the room as it is, particularly since it's small. You've got white of course, green (in various shades), gray (in the marble), and silver. If I had to finish that space, I'd be choosing something from among those colors, albeit perhaps in a darker shade.

Gray would not be my first choice, but I don't usually care for it much at all, and I feel quite ornery about using something so "in." Of course, the latter isn't a very good reason to exclude it as a choice in your case. OTOH, I don't think it's a very flattering color and, since people often use powder room mirrors to put on or check makeup or check their appearance, I would exclude it for that reason. Not that green is especially flattering either.

I wonder: what about white walls? Not my first pick either, but like I initially suggested, you could add color with accessories and such. Quite a lot of color in fact, such that the overall effect wouldn't be white at all.

None of my suggestions or quibbles matter if you do like many colors in a space. And speaking of navy: As part of staging our previous house for sale, I painted the walls of a bathroom in a very pretty shade of hyacinth. It worked really well with the white tiles, white fixtures and shower curtain, and white wainscott. Unfortunately, what I hadn't factored in was the absolute impossibility, on my budget, of finding towels or rugs in a matching color. So instead, I went with navy - navy towels, navy rug, and even (and only) navy toothbrush, bottles for shampoo, etc. Two pieces of art: old prints of grapes that are a rich purple, matted in ivory and with a green-and-gold marble inner mat, and gold frames and fillets. The effect was gorgeous, even if it wasn't intentional!

But I don't think navy will work in your case. Hyacinth is a purple-blue, and navy is also blue. Doesn't that mean your darker color should have at least some green in it?

• teacats
    11 years ago

Let's see:

BM Night Train 1567
    BM Mount Saint Anne 1565
    BM Kitty Gray 1589
    BM Rainy Afternoon 1575

• blondepegasus
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous as it. I wouldn't change a thing as far as the paint goes! I would add a natural bamboo window shade to add richness, depth, and texture. They are available off the shelf at Lowe's in a variety of colors for around $30.00, depending on the width you need. I might try an espresso to contrast the light vibe you have going now.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

see the darker gray squares in your mosaic? Can you find a paint that matches that? I think just a tad richer is the way to warm it up. I love the look you have, I have a similar vibe in my master bathroom. But for a powder room I think you can be a little more bold. I would make sure that the gray you pick doesn't have the green undertones in it. Try looking at the BM strip that has Baltic Gray on it. I understand that these are not step-down colors, so they are not lighter or darker versions of each other. But they always worked in my last house and never leaned towards green.

As far as the window treatment...do you need one for privacy? If so, perhaps a matchstick roman shade mounted inside the window frame would be nice. In a dark brown color.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide.

bee

PS--or could you paint the ceiling a dark charcoal color and get your impact from that?

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Sis 3 and others who have a dark powder room? Can you post pictures? I painted my no window powder room F&B Blazer Red. But now am unsure of how to do the lighting and could use some inspiration.

Lalitha

• sis3
    11 years ago

Lalitha I posted photos on a recent thread on the subject of dark colors in a powder room. I have posted the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent dark powder rooms thread

• sserra85
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thank you all for the suggestions and advice. If nothing else, this community allows me to see my space from a different perspective.

I had never considered that the light from the window would affect the "drama" of a dark painted room. I also noticed that most dark powder rooms are interior like some of yours.

Here is an updated picture, we are still in the dark here in NJ, but you can see the mirror, accessories, and part of the light fixture.

I do still feel like its lacking something, and I struggle with what to put on the walls.. I had even considered stenciling the walls, but quickly realized that it would be to busy with the basketweave floor.

Bee.. I never considered painting the ceiling, but it does make me nervous to have a non-white ceiling. They are also only 8'. I'll google some pictures in the meantime.

The window is so tiny 20"x30". I do not need privacy since it's high and there's a porch beyond it. Would a roman shade that small dwarf it even more? How would a single long panel pulled to the left (away from toilet) work? Or is it awkward being that the window is set so high (renovation mistake #10)

I'm just wanting some drama, and I wish I had the know-how and experience to be able to achieve it. I always intended this to be my wow room..

(that orange tp is cayenne, we're training the puppy)

• User
    11 years ago

Too funny I saw the TP and said "What happened to the TP?" then I scrolled down. Can't wait to see the AFTER of your bathroom. I like the idea of dark paint and if you get it done and don't like it- it is only paint you can redo easy peasy.

• awm03
    11 years ago

Everything in your room is exquisite and beautiful...except the window. It looks industrial -- the visible screws & the faux muntin -- and it's a big feature in this little room. I'd cover it with a high quality sheer that drapes well. That would still let in the light and also add some dimension and another tactile element in the room. It would be a nice counterpoint to your shiny, blingy light & mirror too. Other than the window, what a fabulous powder room! The marble sink is drop-dead gorgeous.

• sserra85
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We do plan on enclosing the porch to make a mudroom in the next year or 2, so the window will eventually go away. I agree that it looks clunky in the space.

• msrose
    11 years ago

I think your bathroom is very classy and elegant as it is, so I'm hoping you don't change it. Can you tell us the paint color? I think the mirror and touches of silver helps give it a wow and I definitely don't find it boring. I would keep with the light and airy feel when decorating instead of darker colors. You pretty much have my dream bathroom!!!!

• User
    11 years ago

Been watching this thread, and I have to say that now that we see the mirror and light, along with everything else you have, I would not change a thing. I think it looks superb. (well I would do something with the window but not sure which of the suggestions...but that is all I would do as it looks great!!!)

• sserra85
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you msrose and sheilaaus... the paint color is a designer collection made by Muralo. The color name is ocean rain.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

You have a lot going on with three different tile patterns and the sink. I think you have enough pattern in there but you might want to look at some wallpaper books anyway.

If I were ever going to use a dark paint color, I would use it where I have natural light coming in. I don't think that detracts from the drama at all, in fact I think the window allows a nice rest from the dark color.

Your wow can come from an unusual color choice ...it does not have to be a dark color. You could also use mirror on all of the remaining drywall. You already have quite a bit of silver/glam, mirror would take that to the next level.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Btw, I agree with others that you already have the wow!

I love that window, but then I suffer from bathroom window envy because I don't have one in any of my baths. I'd probably find a gorgeous sheer for it because of the view of the overhang.

Maybe you'd feel like you had more wow simply by putting some more glitz on the remaining walls. A crystal sconce, a collection of silver hand mirrors, small mirrored shelves with sparkly stuff on them, etc.?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

You have a lot of warm neutral tones in your tile - I think charcoal will look cold with all that white, and light reflected off charcoal will not do a thing for the complexion of them as is looking in the mirror! Same for navy, which I love, but not when there is so much pale white.

I'd consider a rich warm brown instead. The blue is lovely, but I understand perfectly about it not being your style.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

It's lovely as is, but I'd also like dramatic contrast I suppose this is out of the question?
    {{!gwi}}

Or Farrow and Ball Pelt? Or Book Room Red?

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Could have sworn there was a period between "contrast" and "I." Also thought I had labeled Scalamandre's Masai wallpaper. How does that happen?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!