SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Hit me again Critique my Layout Round 2

jenswrens
13 years ago

I feel a little silly setting myself up for criticism again since my last post brought out the meanie in some folks, but I cant seem to help myself. What can I say? Im perseverant to the point of insanity, I guess. And of course, I do truly appreciate all your help.

Anyway

I took to heart most of the ideas and suggestions everyone posted, and Ive been through about 6 or 7 revisions over the last week trying to incorporate them all. (Ive posted some of them here if youre interested). Below is the one I seem to like best as my working plan for now.

Rhome, your sketch of zones and interconnecting lines was a sort of catalyst launching me out of my stagnant design state. Very helpful.

In this version, I still havent adequately addressed all the ways Id like this kitchen/hearth room to function for us, but I like the basic design better (thanks to all of your suggestions). Some points to consider:

- Still trying to figure out how/where to have a walk-in food pantry, but I didnt like the way it looked on any of the attempts I made also couldnt make it big enough to be useful.

- Kitchen table and hearth furniture can switch sides or be rearranged. This is not a TV/family room, but a Hearth Room/reading/sitting area.

- Aisles are big, I know that. Gives me more room to trip over the dogs and cats or bmorepanics baby goats

- Mudroom is larger - could now hold either a powder room or a pet station or a gardening counter. However, this is at the expense of a larger screened porch. Porch? Mudroom? Porch? Mudroom? IDK.

- Without the vestibule, mudroom "junk" is now completely visible from hearth room, front door, etc, defeating my main purpose for the room to hide the junk

- Where do the clean dishes go? Im thinking open shelves on the end of the island maybe??

- Do I still need 2 dishwashers? Id like 2 MWs. Id like a coffee station too.

- Hearth seating area doesn't seem very "cozy" - kinda just hanging out there in the middle of it all

- Dimensions are 24 east/west and 28 north/south. (South is at the top of your screen in these layouts)

So... who wants to throw the first punch? :-) Please?

Close-up view:

Looking north:

Looking south:

Looking east:

Looking west:

Comments (9)