SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenbl_gw

Houseplan, round 2 - need critique please!

JenBL
9 years ago

We got the second round of our floor plan back from the designer. The biggest change we had him make was to change the layout of the stairs - in the old plan going from the 2nd floor to the basement meant creating a traffic pattern through the living room.

The floor plan is coming in at 2100 sq feet on the main level. I was hoping to be closer to 2000. I'm not sure if it would be reasonable to take a foot off the back of the house or not. I can envision my laundry and my dining room being a foot shorter, but I don't want to change the proportions of the front of the house.

For reference:
We are just a family of 4: 2 girls ages 9 and 13.
Our kitchen table that will be in the breakfast nook is just a 45 inch round table.
We don't want the TV over the fireplace, so we are considering either putting the fireplace on the center of the back wall with the back door to the side - or creating a corner fireplace.
I need to fit a coat closet in by the front door - I'm guessing I need to take some space from the laundry area.
As for the kitchen, I don't like the current layout with the stove where it is; I know we need a better plan for that area.
As for the 2nd floor - there really is a ton of space up there. I don't want to waste the space, but I don't want to go overboard either. I made some alterations to the plan from the designer by removing an unneeded bedroom from the back of the house which will reduce the size of the bumpout back there.
I've told my husband that I really want to go through each "zone" of the house and really evaluate the layout to see if there are ways to improve the areas that will reflect how we will use the spaces ourselves.
I really don't want to overbuild - but I don't want to spend the next 20 years wishing I had just a bit more space.
Also, we will be building with ICF.

So please - give me all your thoughts! My husband is the type of guy with no opinion and no vision for anything abstract so he isn't much help with this part. I will take all the help I can get!

Thanks so much!
Jennifer

Comments (5)