SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
houseful_gw

Layout Critique (again)

houseful
16 years ago

Here is my latest version that I am hoping really works. My main concern is whether I have the room for that many stools at the island. I've read you need 65" for a walkway behind seats, but I know some of you have much less and it works.

The two dark squares on the island are supports posts and need to stay. There is about 11' between the posts. The angled wall connects two load bearing walls so it can't move. There will be built-in bookshelves in that space. There is a built-in by the banquette and a butler's pantry (which I really, really want to keep) "behind" the toilet. I have 3 feet between banquette table and built-in, which I think is adequate. Do you?

The north end of the island will have bar height cabinets to match the bar height seating. The island is 42" deep excluding the bar counter. I want a corner island sink so I can quickly access it from both sides of the island. I know it's close to the main sink, but I will use it.

There will be a 6 inch filler pullout between the regular frig and the uc frig. It will disguise a load bearing post. There is also a 15" deep upper above the uc frig. The plus sign on any measurement means extra depth. Still undecided about where trash will go.

Somehow a window got accidentally deleted. It sits just inside the pantry next to the ovens. It would have been nice to have the powder room there with the window, but I couldn't make it work unless the pantry door entry was around the corner. I think having the pantry door here is more important than a window in the powder room. Do you agree?

The short wall off the cooktop that forms part of the pantry has to sit back this way in order to have a long enough wall segment for the pantry door. The other option of shortening the cooktop wall would only leave a foot and half on either side of the cooktop and that won't work for me. But now as I type, I think going to 27" ovens and also shaving the cooktop by just 6" might be okay. As it is, I need fillers on either end of the cooktop

I cook and bake all the time. Would love a lowered area for rolling, but that would be the least of my priorities. I haven't planned the cabinets layout for the island just yet, but that will be the easy part once my layout is finalized. I think covered just about everything. All comments welcome. Thanks.

Comments (10)