SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

can I whine, please?

melissastar
13 years ago

So I realize that in comparison to folks who have been working on remodeling projects for ages and ages and DIYers who shoulder the hard labor themselves, I have little to complain about. But....I am so bummed out.

I started planning my kitchen remodel/addition last Nov., a month before the purchase of the house was settled. Interviewed contractors, got the plans set, started to mull finishes, appliances, etc. Then, a giant monkey wrench was thrown into the works....turns out you can't use a home equity loan for remodeling if you plan to take down a whole outside wall. At least my banker wouldn't let me. So...about to start again in another department for a different type of loan. Then, contractor wants me to shift to a different lender, who he says can close the deal faster and is faster and easier to work with on draws. I investigate find it's maybe a little better deal and decide that it won't hurt me and will make him happier. Wait another month. Then, the week we're supposed to close on that loan...it falls through. (Don't ask...loan officer was incompetent.) Back to lender #1. Finally closed on the loan 2 weeks ago. Money is now ready and waiting.

Meanwhile, I've fronted $20K to the contractor to get started. Kitchen demo is done...so no kitchen. 2nd floor bath is ripped up, pending new flooring with in-floor radiant heat, new configuration with walk-in closet and addition of laundry on 2nd floor. 3rd floor bath, which was supposed to have been a 1 week quicky fix up, still has no

hot water in the sink because the new faucet was defective. Lights still haven't been installed.

Now, it turns out that the delays mean the contractors' main carpenter isn't available until Aug. Meanwhile, time on the 6-month permits ticks by with no progress and my teen aged son, who has been out of the country for a year as a high school exchange student arives to a new home in a new city tomorrow... with no kitchen, one small bath to share and a mom who's about to lose it.

AAAAEEEEEEIIIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!

Comments (3)