SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Ok....I need to whine please!

Marlene Kindred
14 years ago

Hi all~

Some of you are aware that we've had my mom's house up for sale since February. It still hasn't sold and she's quickly running out of funds. We've applied for Auxiliary grant money from the state as well as Veteran's benefits. No matter what we do, she will have to move to a new facility at the end of August. Her current facility wants no part of accepting federal or state funds. I had filled out all of the State grant paperwork, been through an interview, etc. and we were waiting to hear back. I was fortunate enough to find another facility in our general area, and even have made a deposit on the room for Sept. But, as with all government programs, you have to be beyond poverty level or they won't provide any assistance. We received a letter from the Veterans yesterday that my mom DOES qualify for aid...which is wonderful, but now she won't qualify for the state grant for assisted living because she has too much income!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? The state allows a grand total of $86 for personal living expenses for these old folks.....who on earth can live on that????? It won't even pay her copay for her meds! So, we are at a very uncertain place at the moment. My mom HAS to move...and she is very unhappy about that and I have to figure out how to make this work! So, I would very much appreciate a few extra prayers for me and my family as we scramble around trying to make sense of all of this. I can feel the gray hairs working their way to the surface!!!!

Comments (13)