SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

low-light northern exposure room making me lose my hair

mahatmacat1
15 years ago

I'm going CRAZY! I can't find the color I want for this dang room! Can someone please tell me what to do? It's our kitchen/dining area/tv area, basically the back of our house, 8' ceilings, and only windows on the northern side of the house, nothing else (a skylight in the kitchen, but it doesn't really change the lighting situation).

The other problem is that we have halogen track lights and regular incandescents in in various parts of this area, so it affects the color as well.

What's driving me crazy is that I can't find a color that doesn't look yucky at least part of the day. And I think I need something at least moderately bright to help counter DH's SAD (we spend a lot of our time in here -- we have some floor lamps as well as the can lights and track lights), but I don't want something that will disappear.

It was a horrid depressing color of grey-brown when we moved in here, so I painted it a yellow (filtered light from Miller -- kind of a VERY light peachy yellow). But it feels --well...wussy, I guess is the word - and I want something with a little more presence.

But countering that is my other part that wants a modernist kind of blank-slate wall action -- most modernist houses seem to have a nothing paint on the wall...but if we do that in this room with no light, I anticipate pulling my hair out even more.

I'm so stuck.

In terms of color: the floor is natural white oak, the cabinetry is dark (Ikea Hallarum and what will be walnut elsewhere), and we have a sofa that will be kind of a dark bronze-grey when we put the new covers on it...the countertop is a greyish blue-green corian (Green Tea) and the backsplash is light and dark green and light and dark gold/brown.

I'd been looking at some greenish-tan colors but I can't find one that doesn't look "spec-house"y, iykwim, or mucus-y at some point of the day.

Should I be looking at a different tone altogether? I'm also thinking of doing an accent wall that will be able to be seen in this area (it's mostly in another area) in a deep green-blue (maybe Valspar Ocean Abyss). It is kind of the more saturated version of the countertop color, so that's how it connects.

amysrq, anyone--any ideas? I don't want a spec-house look, as with BM camouflage or one other Tan I found last night...OH, and our trim will be the same color as the paint, just a semi-gloss. No white trim.

Any thoughts? I apologize for the semi-ranting post, but I can't tell you how many dozens of sample cans I have around here, not counting the mixing colors. I think I've posted about this before but I've lost my ability to judge anymore so "mix your own" is just not going to work for me right now...I need a virtual intervention.

Comments (28)