SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Backsplash Decision Is Causing Me To Lose My Mind!!

beekeeperswife
14 years ago

No, it's not your imagination, we've discussed my backsplash a lot. I just can't commit. I don't know why. I keep looking and looking. I do have favorites, and you may have seen them before, so just think of them as "old friends".

The granite is busy (Bianco Antico) and I have undercabinet lighting so I am leaning towards a matte 2x8 white subway tile. See photo. If I go that route, how would soldier/stacked pattern look? I have a photoshop picture of that below. Ignore the color in the picture,sort of looks blue. I took the tiles all the way up to the ceiling--I seem to like that when they are stacked. Not so much in the brick pattern.

But there is a white Italian tile subway, 3x6,crackle, gloss with a slight bevel that I like. It has a gray undertone to it so it works really well in the space. This tile does not have the bullnose on the short side available, and we aren't particulary crazy about having to turn them on the vertical to finish the end. And the listellos have flowers, which really don't work for us.

I guess I need your opinions (confirmations)that the beveled subway might be too busy for my kitchen.

I actually really liked a tile that Megpie suggested, it is a beveled arabesque tile. I have tried contacting the company, but no one ever responds. In fact I entered my kitchen in a contest on their blog for a free backsplash, but all of the deadlines (including the "winner announcement" date) have just passed. They have made no announcements on finalists or winners. I'm wondering if the tile is not available. So I have to move on.

Sorry this is so long, here are the photos, I need comments.

First the room:

{{!gwi}}

Sample board, you can see the 2x8 tile that has caught my eye.

{{!gwi}}

Here is the photoshop version of the 2x8s in the stacked pattern all the way up. (Ignore the blueish color)

{{!gwi}}

Here is the Italian Tile, love the color--it looks really weird in some pictures. And what? Don't they have upper cabinets in Italy? The sample boards are so giant, I can't fit it vertically anywhere except in front of my cabinets. I'm interested in the subways (in a horizontal pattern).

The color is wrong in this photo.

Just another view, but further away. Ignore that other board, the harlequins are out.

So let me have the truth. What should I do? I really want to hear from you. This backsplash has driven me over the edge--so much so that I have gone ahead and booked our Empty Nest Cruise for September!!! Woo Hoo!!! Maybe I will have...

Comments (53)

• malhgold
    14 years ago

I love the way the stacked tile looks. To me, it brings a modern edge to a traditional looking kitchen. Is that what you're going for. I think the beveled edge subways will make your kitchen look more traditional. Neither are wrong, just different.....I bet you're so tired of hearing that. I know I am, because as you know, I can't decide either!!! I was back at the tile store today with more ideas. I find I go to all different tile stores because I think everyone gets sick of me not making up my mind!

GOOD LUCK!!!

• fleur222
    14 years ago

I like the horizontal subways. Personal preference, I guess. Or maybe the stacked looked too busy for me. The rest of your kitchen is beautiful. If you do the subways, would you do a focal area of something over the range or would it be subway all over?

• Related Discussions

Please help me pick my backsplash color - Encore crackle tile

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks for the feedback and compliments on the granite everyone. It sounds like all of you are on the same page and think I should wait. I am having a hard time figuring out how to make that happen. Our kitchen project is a remodel and we hired a general contractor to do the work. His crew does most of the work. Our project is scheduled to take six weeks. With the lead time on the tile, I can't wait until the cabinets and granite are installed and still have the backsplash completed as part of the project. Would you all still just wait? The pictures were taken in my current kitchen and the amount of lighting won't be changing. We live in a heavily shaded area and we have very little natural light in our kitchen even with windows along the back of the house. The amount of light wont be a lot different in the new kitchen. I know the piece of granite is just a small part of the slab but with some of the grey and tan tones in the floor tile I thought the smoke would work better overall. I think I am going to drive myself crazy with all of the decisions that have to be made before this project is over...
    ...See More

BackSplash Choices, long story, lots of pics!

Q

Comments (14)
    Oh my -- do you have to pick so theoretically? That is, can you get much of the other stuff up and running so that you can see the context a little better, set the tiles up against the counter with the floor in sight and choose *then*? ~one who's expert at delaying choices as long as possible. Speaking of which, it's pulls-time....
    ...See More

Share your backsplash pics for a good cause!

Q

Comments (68)
    Here's my newly finished backsplash. We worked hard at this, making many different trial pictures using Sketch-Up. DH was not a fan of the random pattern but finally agreed to go along with it. When it first went up I felt ... a little anxious, but I am very pleased with how the whole kitchen came together. And I still love that blue tile.
    ...See More

About to lose my mind: please help me find this post

Q

Comments (9)
    I think I know who you are trying to find but I can't remember her name. It was something like mycountryhome. Ask over on decorating because I think she owned a restaurant and did something very nice for another member's son once. I do believe she had 19 or 20 kids. They ran into trouble completing their build and I think someone from gardenweb directed them to some kind of farm loan. Someone on decorating will know.
    ...See More
  • techmom1
    14 years ago

imho - I think I'd like to see some color in the backsplash... so I like the 2x8 - although I think I'd prefer it staggered. Still working on mine - so much easier to give an opinion than make a decision!

• ttosh
    14 years ago

I like the subway tiles! I don't loove the look of the stacked tiles. Your kitchen is beautiful and I don't think those add the right element. IMO. Something more elegant.

BTW, I'm losing my mind on things as well. Your under cabinet lighting looks fantastic (warm). What did you use??

• blondelle
    14 years ago

I like a traditional subway with that or a 4 x 4 tile. The stacked design is jarring as it's much too modern with your traditional kitchen. Maybe that liner a few inches above the counter in a golden color from the mosaic, and use the mosaic as a design element above the range framed in that liner.

Definitey not the stacked though. It belongs with a whole other look.

• everlastb
    14 years ago

I think if you did a traditional subway in white or off white it would blend in with the white cabinets and light counters...just my 2 cents. I just finished my backsplash with 3x6 tumbled marble subway with a 3in glass mosaic strip. Lowes or Home Depot has a tumbled marble thats a little more greyish that might help the backsplash stand out more

• smiling
    14 years ago

oooh, your kitchen is stunning! It is just oozing style and elegance. I can think of just one backsplash that I think would be perfect for your space (IMHO), and it's one that was shown in a small NYC apartment where the tile appeared whitish/grayish, but as the light hit, it revealed a subtle damask pattern in the tile. It had an aggregate damask look, not a small one on each individual tile. It was gorgeous and I think it would be incredible with your crystal chandys! I looked for the thread for you, but it's temporarily lost in the GW ether with lots of other older threads. The title was "Traditional Modern Pearl White Kitchen in New York City". Do you remember that backsplash?

• rtorgy1
    14 years ago

your kitchen is gorgeous- and I think the first, stacked version is too modern looking for your kitchen. I love the italian tile- love it! I would go with that!

• smiling
    14 years ago

Here is a url to see the kitchen I was mentioning. You can't see the damask patterning in these because the light isn't right, and I hope when GW restores old threads I can find it for you.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2665/3721669101_4076e6594d.jpg
    and

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3536/3721668251_f710955a4f.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

Below is the link to the kitchen smiling was talking about. According to his resource info, the tiles were Bisazza Damasco Bianco Glass Tiles.

The Flicker account below has all of the pics for that kitchen:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/14094221@N05/sets/72157621475426594/

Here is a link that might be useful: Traditional Modern Pearl White Kitchen in New York City

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

Oops, looks like we were posting at the same time, smiling!

• golddust
    14 years ago

Oh yes! Those 2 X 8's are screaming to be installed in that kitchen! Forget the other tiles. They are boring in comparison!

(Not that I have strong opinions or anything.)

• squigs
    14 years ago

Bee - I feel your pain! I'm in the same conundrum right now! And I agree with the other posters that your kitchen is so beautiful and elegant that the backsplash needs a more elegant look.

One other thing - are you committed to going all the way to the ceiling with your tile? In your top picture, I notice that the wall above your hood is in a shadow. Any tile above the hood is going to look different because of the lighting. I have the same issue, and while I'm not planning on tiling all the way up, I am considering adding a can light to spotlight my pretty hood :)

• smiling
    14 years ago

But, jbrig, your links were more direct and useful. Here's a link to the tile itself

Here is a link that might be useful: damasco-bianco

• jeanteach
    14 years ago

I like the subways best. Just to confuse things a little more, have you considered beveled subway tile from Lanka? They have a "Metro" tile that might look great in your kitchen. I've included a link below. I also have it installed in my kitchen. I can post a picture if you'd like.

Here is a link that might be useful: beveled subway tile

• penelopejosephine
    14 years ago

First off...your kitchen is beautiful! It's oh so elegant :)

I vote for the Italian subway. I like the bevel and think the richness of the tiles go with your kitchen beautifully.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

I'm joining both choruses:

Chorus #1: Your kitchen is gorgeous!

Chorus #2: Go with the Italian beveled subways!

• piaa
    14 years ago

I am no expert but LOVE the Italian tile :)

Being in the middle of the great backsplash dilema myself, I say go with your heart you won't go wrong - just look at the fabulous decisions/choices you have made to date - your kitchen is gorgeous :)

Piaa

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I love this site.

@malhgold: I laughed at the fact that we all probably move from one store to another. I finally have found a store where I don't think I am bothering them! It's a small family run store, everybody has heavy Italian accents, and they have the BEST prices on everything. They just give you the sample boards. I know what you mean about the modern twist on traditional looking kitchen. I sort of think that with the stainless stuff in the room that is the direction that this design is going. But I don't know, the vote seems split. ugh.

@fleur222 & @ttosh-- You both refer to subway, but both are subways--do you mean the 2x8 or the 3x6. Remember the 3x6's have a shine, and I can do the 2x8 in a matte. I'm not committed to doing them stacked. And I have finally decided not to do something else under the hood, I wanted something there, framed out--maybe some crushed glass tile, etc.--but now I realize that's not for me. I did think about if I went with the Italian tile, I could maybe put a few of the decorative 6x6's behind the range, just mixed in. (Those babies are expensive--$26 each)

@smiling: Oh I absolutely love love love that backsplash. But with my busy granite it won't work. I've been drooling over that since the day Scotti posted it. I also love the backsplash in the Kraftmaid ad--the one with the lady sitting on the island in the white kitchen. I was pretty set to go with that, way back when--it's a 1/2" x 1/2" tile, probably in Veil by Oceanside. But it was $53 square foot. These are show stopper backsplashes and I need something that looks good but is begging for attention.

@jeanteach: Oh, yes those are nice, can you post a picture? My worry is that all the shadows will make the backsplash too busy. Any thoughts on that?

@squigs: No commitment on the ceiling thing. My issue I have is that the color paint I have there is turning out to be close to the color of the hood. It essentially disappears. So, I think about a couple of things: 1. Run the tile up all the way so that the hood pops, but if the tile isn't a good match for the cabinets, then it will look odd, and also then the cabinets don't pop. 2. Paint that wall darker, like I have at the far end of the room, very very dark. That really seems to be the only option to make both the ss hood and the cabinets pop. This is almost like painting yourself into a corner. Ok, and what do you mean by a more "elegant" backsplash???? I need specifics here!!

Seems like many like the Italian tile. Do you think with all the shadow lines it will look busy? I also need to get Bill V's attention and ask how would I end it at the end of the cabinets since it does not come with a bullnose on the short side.

If I decide on the 2x8, I will go with the traditional brick pattern, I think that the stacked might just be too much for this space.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Bee,

Mamma Mia, Of course it is the Italian ones!!!!!!!!!
    And I know that is what you want you just need us
    to cheer you on. I agree with Piaa you have amazing
    talent and elegant taste. You are letting these little
    tiles pull at you. The second guessing, the anxiety, worry,
    angst, sleepless nights, checking, rechecking, searches on
    the web for a better option.....
    Push it aside and remind yourself you have the gift,
    forte, genius, style, ability and aptitude to finish this.
    Let your talent shine.

Thinking of you and looking forward to the finish.
    ~boxer

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

@ttosh: I forgot--The undercabinet lights are Low voltage by Seagull, they are on a dimmer and they are fantastic. They cost more than I thought undercabinet lighting would cost, but my dh didn't bat an eyelash at it--he must have known. Although, I didn't get that toe kick lighting I wanted!!

Boxer--thanks, and I hope you are feeling better.

• altagirl
    14 years ago

You just summed up exactly what I was thinking as I was looking at your pictures. I think the beveled will look too busy and the soldier stacked is a strong look. I love both in a plain kitchen because they add a lot of dimension and visual interest but your kitchen already has that with your lighting, counters, stainless and contrasting island. I don't think you need to add any more textures or patterns to it... too much for the eye to take in. I'm afraid all your other gorgeous choices will get lost. I agree with your first instinct to tile up to the ceiling behind the hood but I would keep the lines straight and not jog in where it meets the crown or stop it at the crown. What are you doing around the sink? Now that I think about it I would tile up to the crown over the stove, around the window over the sink up to the crown. It would give the space a cohesive look. I'm not an expert just my HO with out seeing it in person.

In the end I'm sure whatever you decide will be beautiful... all your other choices are! Sorry for the loooong response!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Did you ever read the Sweeby Test?

It's not about "Which tile you like best" or even Which tile looks best with my countertops & cabinets", though we all tend to slip into that viewpoint. The whole idea is not to focus on the tile, but rather to view your kitchen as a whole, as a feeling more than a look, and choose the element that takes you in the direction you want to go. Look at the forest, not the trees, and definitely not the leaves! ;-)

So starting from where you are now, what direction do you want to go?

- More modern and funky? The 2x8 stacked bricks definitely get you there. If you want a more eclectic, energetic, youthful, loft-y look -- something that makes your crystal chandalier more fun and less serious, then you've found your tile.

- More elegant and traditional? Something that compliments the elegance of your beautiful chandalier, makes your granite seem more like marble, and conjers images of champagne and candlelight, then the beveled Italian subways do that beautifully.

- No change / The mood is just right 'as is'? If that's the case, then a simpler subway tile in a plain running bond pattern or a 4 x 4 laid on the diagonal would probably do the trick (and save you a chunk of money). Those tiles are so neutral that they'd fade into the background and not make a statement on their own.

My suggestion is to try to come up with a Mission Statement for your backsplash that articulates your vision. A single sentence that will enable you to determine when you've found a great-fit tile.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

One other thing... You expressed reservations about ending a subway run with a vertical bullnose. I don't think that looks bad at all. Here's a picture so you can see for yourself.

• squigs
    14 years ago

let me preface my comments by saying that I know nothing! I am not worthy! You all know much better than I who know nothing!!

But what I mean by more elegant I think is that what you have photoshopped looks more contemporary to me. I can see that your backsplash is going to be a backdrop for some beautiful things on your counter and doesn't really need to make that kind of a statement. I think the Italian tile looks very elegant, and I think it would be fabulous with a few well placed decorative tiles! (but I actually like the squares, so what do I know!)

ps - your DH is going to have to keep giving you flowers. those are gorgeous!

• honeysucklevine
    14 years ago

I think the beveled are too busy with the granite.

I think the soldier pattern up to the ceiling and stopping at the cabinets is the way to go. (Because those horizontal lines running through the whole kitchen point to your hood area focal point and because those vertical lines going from the counter to the ceiling emphasize your hood area focal point. Just make sure the grout doesn't disappear because you need to see those grout lines to get the effect I am talking about.)

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

I don't know enough about decorating and tile to be useful -but I feel your pain. I understand it considering I've been waffling about wall storage for about 5 weeks now. The ideas look fine, but it doesn't exactly do what I want it to do.

Lots of wonderful people are responding and you've done a wonderful job so far. I just want to reinforce what sweeby said.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Sweeby thank you. You said exactly what is in my head. I have no idea about a mission statement for my backsplash. I just make gut decisions with each element of this project. This is absolutely the hardest one to make. I will work on this statement.

Of the two statements you give, I like the 3rd and the 2nd. Oh my.

As far as costs, they are almost the same--about $7.50sq foot for both the 2x8 Daltile and the 3x6 subways.

It's not that I mind the vertical ends, we would do that if needed with a flat tile, but with a beveled tile, I'm not sure.

Do you agree that the beveled tile's shadow lines might be too busy with that granite? Of course I'm also worried about a gloss tile with the lights.

• fleur222
    14 years ago

I was referring to the 3x6 beveled. They look elegant and so does your kitchen.
    But when thinking about the details, it does get more unsure, which is why I am sure you find it so difficult. I think the bevel looks more busy in the picture with less light. Maybe it would change with the lighting and that is kind of cool.
    I also think it would be less busy than the 2x8's.
    What about another company with 3x6 matt finish or crackle tile that is not beveled and maybe has bullnose too?

• jbax
    14 years ago

Ann Sacks has some tiles that I think would look great with your kitchen. There are so many ideas on the website. Since it is a little pricey, I tend to use it for ideas. I think it would be worth a look.

www.annsacks.com

• jeanteach
    14 years ago

beekeeperswife: here are two shots. I personally don't think the shadows would be too busy. They are actually pretty subtle. Hope this helps.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Do I think the beveled will be too busy? Absolutely not. In the low-light picture, you do see the shadow and grout lines more, but in the other pictures, much less so. And the edges look 'soft' -- more like pillows than crisp bevels, which is a very elegant, warm and cozy look. If your grout is a close color match to the tile, the joints will be minimized.

Too shiny? I also don't see that as a problem -- but if that's a hot button for you, feel free to keep looking. Sometimes people see 'too shiny' as 'hard' or 'cold' looking, and this tile's soft coloration and pillowed edges avoid that entirely.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

@jeanteach-thanks for the photos, AND you have non beveled tiles running vertically, how did you do that? Same manufacturer so the colors matched? Do you have undercabinet lights? Do they reflect like crazy?

• jeanteach
    14 years ago

beekeeperswife: I don't think the non beveled tiles are from the same manufacturer but I will have to check my folder when I get home (am out of town). I do have undercabinet lights and have never noticed a problem with reflection. In terms of the vertical tiles, wouldn't you only need those on the wall to the far right of the sink? The rest of the backsplash looks like it ends at the cabinets (unless you are planning to wrap it around to the left of the range).

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

janteach-yep only one spot needs them. Where did you get yours from? Online or local? The website doesn't give any information on who carries them, etc. I'm sure I could call around and see locally. But then again, they probably will know my voice and hang up on me! ha

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

I'm no help because I can really see both tiles working in your space. I don't think there's a right and wrong. As Sweeby said so well, it's really a matter of what feeling you want to evoke. The soldier tiles adds a little unexpected, modern twist to your kitchen. The beveled adds to the traditional, elegant charm.

I absolutely empathize with your dilemma. At least your space is gorgeous! I'm flitting like a hummingbird from cabinet color to cabinet color and from tile to tile. I'm driving myself crazy. I'll probably post about my dilemma eventually, but I'm worried I'll drag every single one of you to the loony bin with me.

• honeysucklevine
    14 years ago

If you use the beveled with invisible grout like jeanteach has it much less busy.

• suzanne10023
    14 years ago

I found another source for the beveled arabesque tiles:

http://www.kmt-bcia.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28&products_id=797

• ejbrymom
    14 years ago

LOVE the subway!!! Love it! It allows all of the other beautiful elements in your kitchen to shine without over-doing it.

• jeanteach
    14 years ago

beekeeperswife: I got the tile at Biscayne Tile in Milford, CT. Are you anywhere nearby? I also saw it at another tile place in Orange. Let me know if you want contact info. I will also echo others and say that your kitchen is gorgeous and you won't go wrong with whatever you choose.

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

Beekeepers wife, that is a GORGEOUS kitchen. I love it. I just had my backsplash installed and wish I had been more paitent and given it more thought - not the kitchen I envisioned. Again, you have a lovely, lovely kitchen. So warm, comfortable and elegant.

• altagirl
    14 years ago

I agree with sweeby... do the test then set your mind on a look and go with what fits best. All of your choices are the right choice, you just need to decide on the look you want. Whatever seems to hit you at first glance with out over thinking it will be the "right" choice. You really can't go wrong.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, I guess I know why I am paralyzed with this decision. I don't really know how I want the kitchen to look. I do love the idea of it being sparkly and stuff, but I also love the idea of the juxtapostion of the modern and the glam. I hate tests, can someone take the Sweeby test for me?

I think we may have figured out the solution to the fact that there are no bullnoses on the short side of the Italian tile available, so that is not stopping me anymore.

I appreciate all of your responses, each one of them is a valid point and they all echo the thoughts in my head. I too think either one would work. I guess this is so hard because, it's not like a chandy--if it looks bad, ditch it and move on. It's the flippin' backsplash, it's attached to the house and there is no way we are replacing it on a whim.

I just don't know what to do. I guess if I am not doing anything fancy behind the range, then the Italian tile would surely look great. Oh boy, this is killer. I wonder if they will allow me to order a square foot of each one and try it out. Probably have to order a minimum quantity.

If anybody has any more thoughts, please feel free to give them to me.

Jeanteach--not close enough to CT to buy tile, I'm outside Philly. Thanks for the information though.

Suzanne1003--how the heck did you find that? The photo is so much better than the one on Mission Tile's site, that I do believe it might be too ornate for my kitchen (If I think shadow lines from a slight bevel on the Italian tiles are too much)-- I couldn't tell before that they are individual tiles, very nice though.

Once again, thanks everybody, if you feel like chiming in again, please do so.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

beekeeperswife - I am still feeling your pain!!! I'm sort of having a hard time deciding what I want my kitchen to look like as well. Oddly enough, after visiting 2 tile stores yesterday, I saw an arabesque tile(although in bright colors) and thought it had a great "feeling". Then when I saw Suzanne's post, I thought maybe it was destiny, and the look I'm going for it something that makes people stop and pause, something unexpected. My point is, that maybe you need to wait for you "ah ha" moment. Maybe it hasn't arrived yet. I'm not sure mine has either, but I'm waiting for a quote on the arabesque tile. We'll see....keep plugging away.

• honeysucklevine
    14 years ago

Your kitchen reads transitional elegant to me and I think it needs that little pop of modern of the soldier tile (also see my previous post).

• pirula
    14 years ago

It's beautiful without a backsplash. I fell in love with the Walker Zanger Gramercy Park series when I was planning my kitchen. It would be exquisite in yours. Especially if you did crackle with a just a tint of color. They have several. I'd use grout very close to the tile color, you don't want busy-ness to take away from the serene elegance you have now. It's really beautiful beekeeperswife. I'd be tempted to blow off the backsplash altogether.

• jmc2009
    14 years ago

I vote for the beveled Italian tile, staggered. Just my 2 cents!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

See my NEW THREAD--Totally a Surprise-- I won a backsplash!

Here is a link that might be useful: Winner Thread

• positano
    14 years ago

I just read your other post about the size of the arabesque tile. If it doesn't work out I still think something like this would be beautiful!

From Drop Box

• mehulsey
    12 years ago

Mosaictilestone.com is having a sale on your Beveled Arabesque Tile-- I used the code LABOR for a 20% discount

Here is a link that might be useful: Beveled Arabesque Tile